Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: feeding 10 month old +

Default Re: feeding 10 month old +

Quote Originally Posted by NancyG View Post
    I made homemade sausage gravy (with mild sausage). They love it. The biscuits are of course their fav, but the sausage is a close second. By making it myself I can also control the level of salt and pepper.
    Now I want biscuits and gravy.

Sodium is NOT recommended for children under one AT ALL. Their livers aren't able to process it yet. So avoid anything with salt in it for your 10month old.(Like Pickles) or adding ANY as seasoning.
    I didn't see a lot of fresh fruit on your list. Honestly in children under one the EASIEST, SAFEST BEST NUTRITION comes from raw, whole foods. It's true for all of us actually but is especially true for babies. So rather than try to figure out whether or not to fry food for your LO our worrying about things being bland, I would spend way more time in the produce section. At this age EVERYTHING you give them is a new adventure in taste. Good ones are: Apples, Plums, Snap Peas, Cucumbers, Watermelon, Banana, Peaches, Nectarines, Celery, Quartered Grapes. I had introduced all of this by 10 months and now at 20months I'd say 60% or more of his food intake on a daily basis is raw fruit and veggies.
    We also had introduced Organic string cheese by 10 months.
    On the Cooked list we had introduced Whole pinto beans, Tortillas, Shredded chicken and ground turkey.
    Things we avoided until after the year point: SALT. BEEF AND PORK. TOMATOES, KIWIS, ALL CITRUS FRUITS, BERRIES, NUTS, HONEY. It's not a long list but it was all stuff that was on the "better safe than sorry" list.
    HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Sodium is NOT recommended for children under one AT ALL. Their livers aren't able to process it yet. So avoid anything with salt in it for your 10month old.(Like Pickles) or adding ANY as seasoning.
    I didn't see a lot of fresh fruit on your list. Honestly in children under one the EASIEST, SAFEST BEST NUTRITION comes from raw, whole foods. It's true for all of us actually but is especially true for babies. So rather than try to figure out whether or not to fry food for your LO our worrying about things being bland, I would spend way more time in the produce section. At this age EVERYTHING you give them is a new adventure in taste. Good ones are: Apples, Plums, Snap Peas, Cucumbers, Watermelon, Banana, Peaches, Nectarines, Celery, Quartered Grapes. I had introduced all of this by 10 months and now at 20months I'd say 60% or more of his food intake on a daily basis is raw fruit and veggies.
    We also had introduced Organic string cheese by 10 months.
    On the Cooked list we had introduced Whole pinto beans, Tortillas, Shredded chicken and ground turkey.
    Things we avoided until after the year point: SALT. BEEF AND PORK. TOMATOES, KIWIS, ALL CITRUS FRUITS, BERRIES, NUTS, HONEY. It's not a long list but it was all stuff that was on the "better safe than sorry" list.
    HTH!
    This is pretty much what our dd eats, though she does love baked ham and a little beef on occassion. Mostly everything she eats is either fresh or steamed from fresh. We've just begun to slowly introduce yogurt. I think adding some flavors is okay, as long as it msg/salt free and doesn't contain allergy causings spices. We sometimes use Mrs. Dash on our lo's food.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Quote Originally Posted by brandila View Post
    This is pretty much what our dd eats, though she does love baked ham and a little beef on occassion. Mostly everything she eats is either fresh or steamed from fresh. We've just begun to slowly introduce yogurt. I think adding some flavors is okay, as long as it msg/salt free and doesn't contain allergy causings spices. We sometimes use Mrs. Dash on our lo's food.
    I don't know how old your little one is...but HAM is NOT SALT FREE. I agree that flavoring is OK. But sodium for children under one is NOT.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    I don't know how old your little one is...but HAM is NOT SALT FREE. I agree that flavoring is OK. But sodium for children under one is NOT.
    I know, I know. . . . She very rarely gets it, and even then it's only a bite or two from my plate when she's screamimg for it. I'm usually pretty picky myself about sodium - most of what we eat is fresh or frozen - not much canned or boxed stuff here!
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Question on the sodium... As I have looked at the ingredients, I have noticed that even the organic cheeses, yoguart, cottage cheese, etc contain sodium. If sodium is not recommended for kids under one, where did you find the organic stuff without sodium? Did you make it yourself?
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

Quote Originally Posted by NancyG View Post
    Question on the sodium... As I have looked at the ingredients, I have noticed that even the organic cheeses, yoguart, cottage cheese, etc contain sodium. If sodium is not recommended for kids under one, where did you find the organic stuff without sodium? Did you make it yourself?
    Most packaged food has a lot of sodium, which is why we usually do fresh or frozen. When I do give dd something like yogurt or cheese, I go with the one that has the least amount of sodium, and she usually only gets it 2 - 3 times a week.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

My baby is 9 months (in 1 hour!), and I feed him what I am eating, which is what he wants. If I have something and do not let him explore it, he gets mad! I like it because it forces me to eat healthier. I steam most of our veggies; give him a variety of fruits; cut meats in to small pieces; breads in a variety of ways. He chews quite well for his age (and he has 5 teeth already!), so as long as the pieces are of a reasonable size, and I limit the amount on his tray, he does great!
    Hot momma to The Boy born 19 December 2006.

Nursing The Boy for 1 year...and still going strong! I kicked the pump out the door though!

Oh, and I'm a cloth convert. Late in life. But only at home. Daycare isn't having it.

Mmmm, Bob Evans Restaurant has the best sausage gravy and biscuits ever I wish they had one closer to me.