Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to Work, Help!

Default Returning to Work, Help!

I am new to the forum and so glad to have found! I am returning to work in 3wks as a flight attendant. Will be out of town 2-3 weekends a month. My DS will be 7mths. I have been EBF until now. Just started w/solids. I want to continue to BF. Concerned about being away. How to keep supply up? How will baby react to me not being there? Especially since I have been feeding him on demand. Is it possible to do? DH will be with DS while I am gone.
    Really need some suggestions and support! Thanks.

Default Re: Returning to Work, Help!

You're right to be concerned. This will be a big change for all three of you. After some time, you will all adjust. It's hard, I know.

Will you be able to pump while you're away? That's important, both to provide milk for your baby, and to prevent engorgement while you're apart. You'll need a double hospital grade pump, one not made by a company that also manufactures formula.

Have DH use slow-flow bottle nipples, and keep to feeding mostly on demand. This may mean that baby gets a 2oz bottle every two hours during the day, with longer stretches at night. It may be a schedule similar to what you feed baby now, though.

While you're apart, pump as often as you would nurse baby, or at least every three hours. Practice pumping now, so you're used to how the pump works and feels before you actually need to use it. While you're practicing at home, you may not get much, but the practice will help you later.

Consider asking DH not to feed baby in the hour or so before you get home, so that baby is hungry, and you are full. It's a great way to reconnect.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I will be able to pump while I am gone although I don't know how often. It might be hard while on the airplane working?? I will have to see. I will have to pump and dump while I am away because I don't think there is anyway to store the milk? I have a Medela Pump in Style. I have been pumping already trying to get a supply of milk stored in advance.

I just read an article in New Beginnings about a BFM who is a flight attendant. Are there any others out there??? Would love to hear how its done. Storing milk, pumping etc.........Going back to flying at the end of June. Very anxious about being able to continue BF.

Also if anyone knows of LLL meetings in New Orleans/Covington area? Since the hurricane I have not been able to find a meeting. Could use the support especially with going back to work soon. This forum has been such a blessing in the mean time!

Groups in that area have been slow to come back. There aren't many so far. Have you looked here? http://www.lllalmsla.org/locals.html

There is a cooler section in the PIS, could you use that to store milk? Or, get a larger cooler to use instead? Don't want you to have too much to carry, though, since space is limited. If you could at least keep some of your pumped milk, it would mean less pumping at home later.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!