Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: change in stool with cereal

Question change in stool with cereal

I just recently switched ds from gerber cereal to earth grain rice cereal due to milk allergy (gerbers has soy milk i think). Anyways, after doing that ds's stools have changed from yellow seedy stools (with occasional blood in it) to stinky thicker brown seedy stools. Is this normal?

Default Re: change in stool with cereal

Ds's stools were yellow even with the Gerber cereal?

How often/much was he eating it? When did you first start this cereal?

Now with the other cereal they are brown?

Is he eating much more of this cereal?

It is normal for stools to change after the intro. of something other than solids, so this is pretty normal!

When my little one started eating rice cereal his poop started to look like peanut butter...Hope you weren't eating a peanut butter sandwich....lol

Hehehe, nope not eating peanut butter sandwiches But you said it perfectly-it looks like peanut butter!!

LLLKate:
    Ds's stools were yellow even with the Gerber cereal?

Yes, his stools were yellowish brown with the Gerber and they would have some blood in it. That all stopped when he started the all natural rice cereal.

How often/much was he eating it? When did you first start this cereal?

He eats cereal in the evening around 4 pm, between nursing sessions. He usually takes 2 tbsp mixed with ebm (although he acts like he wants more sometimes). I only feed it to him with a spoon and it is so cute when he grabs the spoon and tries to stick it in his mouth. We had started the rc when he was a little over 4 mo to please the pedi. She was completely disatisfied with his weight issues, and I know she was heading to telling me to stop nursing and to start formula. Although, to be honest, it has not made that big of a deal in his weight gain, but it is helping some.
    He eats alot more of this new cereal (like I said sometime he acts like he wants more, but I don't want to effect my milk supply).

Hi Sheila,
    The rice cereal may just have started to accumulate in ds's system, and it may have nothing to do with the brand. Rice cereal is known to be constipating in some babies and that is why you may be seeing a thickening in his stools.

You may be interested in the following link which shows the caloric value of common baby foods as they relate to BM. This is per ounce, so you have to keep in mind that a baby would eat many more ounces of BM than he could ever take in of a certain solid. It is not an LLL source.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

HTH!

My dd had thick stool with blood in it last week and the Ped. said it was constipation. We gave her some apple juice diluted by 50% in water. 4oz. of the solution 3 times a day until stools were normal (a total of 6oz juice per day) then back it off to a maximum of 4oz of total juice per day.

I must admit we could not get her to drink that much so we gave about 2oz of pears (high in fiber; prunes will probably work too) along with what ever she would drink and that did the trick.

Hope this helps.

Sara