Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mom of preemie needs help selecting a pump

Default Mom of preemie needs help selecting a pump

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. Recently gave birth to my second child after 6 years and unfortunately he is a preemie. I'm home and he his still in the hospital. Given the fact that I breastfed my daughter, I had no problems getting back into the swing of things and pumping the day after I gave birth to him. I've been using a manual pump since I came home and noticed that my milk supply is slowly decreasing. I was planning to buy an electric pump anyway but I'm having a hard time choosing. I used two different pumps while at the hospital, they were both medelas but there was a real difference between the two. I really loved the Classic medela over the Symphony. Now I started reading about the Ameda Purely Yours and since it is so much more affordable and can be easily carried, I'm thinking about getting that one. Does anyone have advice? I really need to get a portable pump because I will be returning to work in January and want to continue giving my son breast milk. Help!!!! I need a new pump fast!

Default Re: Mom of preemie needs help selecting a pump

I have a Medela PISA at home, and use a Lactina at work. (yay work) I also used a Symphony rental at home because she ended up in the hospital longer than I did and I needed to suplement a little. I like the PISA and Lactina better than the Symphony. I can only speak for Medela products, since thats all I've used, but I like the PISA, and I could have gone with just a PIS since I don't use the letdown function (it never helped me get letdown).

I never used an Ameda, but I have heard really good things about them. They do however use polycarbonate plastic in their pump parts, which is a concern for some.

If you're looking for a good deal on any pump, go for Hackley. www.hackley4h.com Their prices on Medela pumps are 100 less than anywhere else I've seen, and they ship out really fast. They even have good prices on the Ameda's.

have you looked into renting?
    some health plans will pay for renting pumps for babies that are born too early.
    !

I would say a PISA too, it's supposedly the only personal pump capable of increasing supply. The let-down function helps me get a lot more milk. I used a hospital grade Medela symphony while I was in the hospital and I can't tell a difference between that one and my PISA.

i've used the syphony, and the pisa...i actually like the pisa alot better...and i second the hackley site...it's the cheapest i've found, and free shipping for orders over $50.00, and they deliver quick

i have an ameda purly yours and I LOVE it you can specify how much suction and how fast which works for my let down. I set it the the fast cycle for let down and then I just turn down the cycles to what DD would suck. I got mine off of Ebay and only paid 140 for it
    I'm Christina
    Wife to Drew 11/16/02 Mother to Benjamin Patrick 2/24/06 and Elizabeth Victoria 5/4/07
    http://tac.families.com/ezb/967846.png

I relactated successfully with my PISA - it has done a good job increasing and now maintaining my supply.

Quote Originally Posted by tenderfox View Post
    Recently gave birth to my second child after 6 years and unfortunately he is a preemie. I'm home and he his still in the hospital. Given the fact that I breastfed my daughter, I had no problems getting back into the swing of things and pumping the day after I gave birth to him.
    Congrats on your newest arrival!

I've been using a manual pump since I came home and noticed that my milk supply is slowly decreasing.
    For many mothers, manual pumps are only beneficial for pumping the occassional bottle. They simply don't have the suction/cycles to help increase/maintain production. If you combined your manual pumping sessions with hand expression, you would likely yeild better results. See the link I added at the end of this post.

I was planning to buy an electric pump anyway but I'm having a hard time choosing. I used two different pumps while at the hospital, they were both medelas but there was a real difference between the two. I really loved the Classic medela over the Symphony.
    The Medela Classic comes highly recommended for mothers who need to build milk production levels when baby is not nursing.

If you have medical insurance, it would likely cover the rental (especially since your baby is in NICU). If you don't have insurance, Medicaid or WIC would likely help. If all else fails, ask at the hospital if the rental could be added to your bill.

Now I started reading about the Ameda Purely Yours and since it is so much more affordable and can be easily carried, I'm thinking about getting that one. Does anyone have advice? I really need to get a portable pump because I will be returning to work in January and want to continue giving my son breast milk. Help!!!! I need a new pump fast!
    tenderfox, the Ameda is a GREAT pump, but it's not the best for what you need it for. How would you feel about renting a hospital grade pump until your milk production is established, then purchase a Purely Yours for your return to work?

Here's some GREAT information that would help you a lot right now. It's a video on how to maximize your milk production when you're pumping. It's geared towards mothers who are separated from their babies...
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Here's some more info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/preemie/index.html

HTH!

Please do keep us updated!

I stablish my supply with AMEDA at the hospital... once my baby was broght home I stoped pumping with the AMEDA hospital grade pump ... I am re-lactering with AMEDA Purely Yours and it works fabulous ... I got my from AMEDAONLINE $149.99 brand new free shipping.... my own expirience AMEDA grade pump in the hospital .... Purely Yours for home use... I use my every 3 hours works excelent .... my baby was in the NICU for 6 weeks in that time I used the hospital grade pump...