Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Flailing and crying while latched on

Default Flailing and crying while latched on

My LO is 11 weeks old and recently he has made BFing difficult. He will be doing fine then randomly start flailing his arms and legs. He will then get really fussy and cry a little while he's latched on. He does that for a bit until he wears himself out. I've tried burping him and changing sides, but nothing has helped so far. Anyone had a similar experience that can share some advise.
    Wife to Sean 8/2/03 and mom to Erik James 7/1/07

Default Re: Flailing and crying while latched on

It sounds like your LO is fussing at letdown... so maybe he just wants to comfort suck and not actually have any milk? Either that or maybe you have OALD?

My DS used to do that sometimes, and it was a combination of reflux, oald, and just that he wasn't really hungry when I put him to breast.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

We have this problem to - I've determined I have OALD. Unfortunatly laying back doesn't always help. The only time it isn't a real issue is side laying.

Just before work today I tried to nurse Jazzy and we were at my parents' house. She flailed and screamed then popped off and I sprayed all over her face and onsie =( She wouldn't latch back on after that one, I felt terrible! It wouldn't be so bad if I could reliably feel the letdown happen - sometimes I do, sometimes I feel it on the opposite side, and other times I feel nothing at all.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Yes, this was happening to me last week and the week before that and now it has not happened as much. I think that my babe has started to eat just a tiny bit less and that he has managed to slow down the milk production just enough for this to not be as much of a problem...at least it seems that way to me, I don't know, is that possible?

When I thought it was OALD (which I cannot feel either) I would lay back and also block feed a bit and then this week it has seemed to be less and less of a problem. I think this was also why he seemed to be latching less and less well last week...it must have been too much milk all at once for him to swallow?

My son went through a small phase like that around that age too. He grew out of it in a few weeks. I found sitting in positions that gave him nothing to push off of helped a bit.

Sarah has reflux, and we went through that too, @ that age. She would even arch her back and pull. I felt horrible. I got a lot of reassurance that some babies r like that from "The Baby Book" by Dr. William Sears

Is it strange that he seems to be better when I'm rocking him?
    Wife to Sean 8/2/03 and mom to Erik James 7/1/07