Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby and her 'hickeys'

Default baby and her 'hickeys'

we found a smallish bruise on my 3 wk-old baby's arm a couple of days ago, but i thought it was from swaddling her too tightly but today baby showed us where it came from: she sucked on her own arm so hard that it was enough to make a bruise! arck! i knew her suction was strong (the force is strong in this one) but i had no idea it was THAT strong! my poor nipples! lol!

but seriously, should i be concerned? the bruise is healing but it sure doesn't look very pretty. any parents can share their experience?

Default Re: baby and her 'hickeys'

poor baby! I wouldnt be concerned, but that is just me. I have pictures I took of my sons arm when he was going through a period of sucking his wrist. He had a few hickeys that would put teenagers to shame
    They went away very quickly and they did not seem to bother him, so I would say it is normal, and very common!!
    Take care!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Abby hasnt given herself and hickeys, but she's given ME several on my shoulder

pictured HERE:

and that picture was taken a few days after it was done, so...its considerably lighter than it was. That is one of many. They never hurt. Its always after only a few seconds of sucking...but everyones reaction is HI.LAR.IOUS! They always say "If she does that to your arm, whats she doing to your poor breast?!"

Glad I'm not the only one here! My LO hasn't gotten himself, but if he wants to suck, and isn' really hungry, he'll latch onto my breast (note: not nipple) and leave a hickey.

hee hee! so babies do love to suck huh. where does all that suction power come from, really? good grief. :P

my LO hasn't gotten herself yet, but she's gotten me a few times

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by walimaki View Post
    Abby hasnt given herself and hickeys, but she's given ME several on my shoulder

and that picture was taken a few days after it was done, so...its considerably lighter than it was. That is one of many. They never hurt. Its always after only a few seconds of sucking...but everyones reaction is HI.LAR.IOUS! They always say "If she does that to your arm, whats she doing to your poor breast?!"
    Wonder what Abby will do when she gets teeth?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I remember when I coslept with Paul I would wake up with hickeys on my breast - not the nipple - from where he had unsuccessfully tried to latch on during the night.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by all night DQ View Post
    I remember when I coslept with Paul I would wake up with hickeys on my breast - not the nipple - from where he had unsuccessfully tried to latch on during the night.
    that's how my LO usually gets me too

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07