Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NICU won't allow me to BF.

Default NICU won't allow me to BF.

I am so frustrated. Brayen was transferred from a Level 3 NICU to a level 2 NICU at a different hospital. This hospital wants me to feed him by bottle first (53 ccs) and then try to nurse. However, it takes work to bottlefeed and then he falls asleep and the 30 minute allocated time to feed is over.

I just don't understand the different policy per hospital.

Default Re: NICU won't allow me to BF.

You are the mommy, you have rights. Use them. Pull rank if you have too. BM is best and tell them you are not willing to compromise on that one. IF you want, you can even compromise as to BM one time and then the bottle the next time. What ever you're comfortable with. I would def push the issue about BFing though, that's the only way you're going to get your milk to stay up. Plus, with already having a preemie, you need to be giving her the best brain food ever!!! HTH

Quote Originally Posted by AJsmommy View Post
    You are the mommy, you have rights. Use them. Pull rank if you have too. BM is best and tell them you are not willing to compromise on that one. IF you want, you can even compromise as to BM one time and then the bottle the next time. What ever you're comfortable with. I would def push the issue about BFing though, that's the only way you're going to get your milk to stay up. Plus, with already having a preemie, you need to be giving her the best brain food ever!!! HTH

who decided this? find out and grill them, i would think that since it is your baby youur say counts the most!

You don't have to accept that policy, poulinsj. My best suggestion is to go up the chain of command and ask to know why, and what studies back up their methods. I would also suggest letting them know that at the other hospital, you were feeding directly at the breast and your baby was receiving supplement through his NG tube. If you would like to continue with a similar method, I don't see why you couldn't. At minimum, you could supplement via cup or syringe if needed.

I'll be back with more. If you have any questions in the meanwhile, please post them!

I agree with the PPs. When my son was in the Level II nursery they had me nurse first (since it's more work) and then finish the feeding by bottle or feeding tube.

I would talk to the doctor. The nurses at my NICU would offer varying options that contradicted one another. I learned really quick to go straight to the doctor. My baby was born 33.5 weeks and was on and IV for nourishment. The IV came out several times and they said my options were a deeper IV or Nasal gavage feeding tube. I went with the NG tube and had them give my baby only my pumped milk. Durring all his feedings I insisted on taking him out of the isolette and putting him to the breast. sometimes he didn't latch or nurse for very long, but I really do think it helped him associate the full tummy with nursing at the breast.

I was very adamant about nursing and I never left my baby's side for long. I slept at the hospital and took care of my baby myself. The doctors and the nurses kept pushing the bottle and it was very tempting after a while to give in. I had to call my LLL leader and my friends for support. I talked to the lactation consultant and said I would rather try nipple shields, finger feeding or SNS...even syringe or cup feedings as opposed to the bottle. They didn't seemed that thrilled. We tried the Nipple shild and SNS and finger feeding and without the NG tube my baby regressed and we put him back on for a while. After antoher week we tried again and this time wth the SNS (I was more comfortable with that than the nipple shield b/c i used it with my 1st son) we were successful in sustaing and gaining weight w/o the NG tube.

I think the medical profession likes bottles b/c they can measure the intake better, but if you are dedicated to nursing, don't let them tell you that you can't do it. You are the mom! Ask them what your options are...sometimes you have to ask straight up for them to give you an honest answer! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

i wasnt allowed to nurse my son either, he was tube fed, he was 3 weeks old before i was able to nurse him myself my son was born at 33 weeks too

My cousin's wife had their son when only 5 1/2 months along....and he was in NICU for 3 months. They did not "let" her nurse until about a week before he was released, but she was encouraged to pump milk for the tube/bottle feedings.

He did learn to feed from her breast and is thriving.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Can you get one of the lactation consultants to come in and back you up? You are doing the right thing! Don't let them bully you!

Our DD would nurse and then receive supplemental bm by NG tube. GO up the chain of command if you have to!!! I can't tell you how many times the "old stuck in their ways nurses" cause problems for us. It wasn't until we'd been in the NICU for about 2 weeks that I realized that some of them were doing more harm than good. (i.e gave my little one a soother)

Including over feeding by NG tube so that she wasn't hungry at her next feed time and would not nurse... to which they would over supplement again... ( they had read the doctors order wrong!!!)

I know from experience... you have the right to lay down the law and tell them what to do.... the only person that can contradict you is the doctor...so don't let those nurses bully you... we even had a nurse try to tell us the soother was doctors orders.... I went straight to the doctor... who denied it and said it could ruin our DD's latch. The nurse was reprimanded!

Keep your chin up and remember you are the mommy!