Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: itchy breast

Default itchy breast

hi. it's a bit strange but one of my breasts periodically itches like mad. usually in the evening and just the lower half of the breast. there is no visible rash or skin problem. does anyone know why this could be happening? i am still breastfeeding my almost one year old and this issue started a couple of months ago. thanks for any advice. sonia

Default Re: itchy breast

Are you wearing breast pads? If so are they wet a lot? I had that problem when I was not changing my breast pads often enough.

I'm not sure what could be causing this. Any changes in laundry detergent or nursing bra?

Mary

I also get an itchy feeling from time to time. I just figured it was a letdown feeling because I usually don't feel the letdown, and it happens when he's nursing so I think that's what it is.

If it's an itchy nipple, my midwife said that could be a little yeast infection. She had me use a cup of warm water with a tablespoon of white vinegar, rinse my nipple with it, and then rinse with clear water.

Hi, maybe it's related to your skin stretching or shrinking? After my DS was born, my tummy and breasts itched and the skin was also flaky for a few months.

i think it must be the skin stretching and shrinking like you suggest. it was my only theory. i don't wear breast pads as i never leak. i use no-fragrance laundry soap and i'm sure there is no yeast infection (it's not the nipple that itches). thankyou all for your responses. sonia

I constantly have to remind myself to drink Drink DRINK water! Our dear little ones take so much moisture out of us! Plus, I find that I'm hesitant to put much of any kind of "product" on my breasts at all except lanolin on the nipples. Maybe a little lotion (I use my son's baby lotion on my breasts) will help?

It sounds too low for a yeast infection, but worth considering also.

Good luck!

It might help to see a knowledgeable and supportive physician to rule out eczema, which I had. Good luck!