Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Regreting my decision t wean and I am Morning......

Default Regreting my decision t wean and I am Morning......

My ds just turned 18 months old on the 14th. This past Friday the 19th of May. And I had been thinking that it was getting about time that I weaned him. He had been nursing in the morning and at bedtime. And about 3-4 times a week he would nurse during the day. So I nursed him for the last time last Friday night. And every since then I have been on an emotional rollercoaster. I have been questioning my decision over and over again. I now have got clogged milk ducts on both sides and it hurts. I can still squeaze out milk. And it comes out of in about 5 different streams. I am sure that it is to late to try to let him start back up. Or is it? Could I actually relactate? Or should I just let it go and realize that my little boy is not a baby anymore? I am so confused that I am actually sitting here and crying as I write this. Could someone please give me some advice? Anything would be appriecated.

Default Re: Regreting my decision t wean and I am Morning......

It's only been a few days and if nursing is what you want to do, then go for it! Chances are good your son will nurse again since it hasn't been so long. And nursing will help you tremendously with the plugged ducts.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

If you want to start nursing again, it is certainly possible. I really doubt he will have forgotten how in just 5 days. When my son was a toddler, we occasionally were separated for 2-3 days at a time, and he always picked right up again with the nursing.

If you don't end up nursing again, consider expressing milk on a regular basis to help with the plugged ducts. You can gradually reduce the frequency of your pumping or hand expressing, so your breasts have a chance to wind down on production -- this will help avoid more plugged ducts and possible mastitis.

Oh, one more comment -- if you decide to continue nursing and need some support in that, check out the Extended Nursing board here. You'll find good company among other moms who have nursed past 1 year.

--Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by LCsmom
    I am actually sitting here and crying as I write this.
    It doesn't seem strange to me that you might cry while weaning. Hormones could be a factor. It sounds like things might have happened a little faster than your body was prepared for. Good luck with your decision.

The title of your post indicates that you regret initiating weaning, which to me sounds like you still have a desire to nurse. It sounded like your reasoning for weaning was because you felt like you "should" or that it was "time", although it is not clear to me if it felt like it was your time, his time, or feeling pressure from others/outsiders. From this understanding of your situation, I would say nurse him tonight while he's sleeping, or at the next available opportunity (example: after you've come out of a hot shower and have massaged your breasts to help your milk flow.)

Sounds like your milk is still there, so I'd say use it if you want to! :-) He should not have forgotten how to nurse in 5 days. But don't be suprised or frustrated if it takes him a little time and/or if he rejects you for a little bit. Keep at it for a bit, and you'll be able to tell if he's going to go back. He may feel confused and/or want to reject you if he felt "rejected" and may need time to work that out safely and lovingly with you.

Nursing past 18 mos is totally natural, and if it what you guys want to try, then I'd say go for it! You'll find plenty of support here!

Good luck,
    Teresa