Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help-wants nothing to do with solids!

Default Help-wants nothing to do with solids!

My little guy is almost 8 months and is not excited about solids at all. I wouldn't be as concerned about this except for the fact that he does not take a bottle either ! So right now I feel like there is no end in sight for me. I want to bf til about a year, but of course I want to make sure he's getting the nourishment he needs. It is also hard for me because he has a milk allergy and we are waiting for results for IgE and IgG testing to see if there is anything else. So I am trying to introduce basic foods, but I just don't think he likes baby food! So far he likes sweet potatoes and bananas, but even then it's hit and miss. I offer breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but he will maybe eat one 2.5 oz. jar a day if I'm lucky. My daughter also resisted solids for a long time, so I feel like I'm doing something wrong . Any advice out there?

Default Re: Help-wants nothing to do with solids!

My dd didn't really get interested in solids until around 9 mos. I will tell you that she preferred the homemade babyfood. She only got the jarred stuff when we weren't home and never really liked it. Try some butternut squash, peas & carrots; those were her favorites.

Other than that...just keep trying and maybe offer before nursing.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

i have a reluctant eater as well. at 17 mos. he is just now starting to eat. he wouldn't eat at all until about 12 and then he preferred plain full fat yogurt, freeze dried fruits, and that nasty meat baby food only for months and in small quantities...he just started eating spagetti, so guess what we eat for dinner 2X every week!

Good Luck!

It's very normal for an 8 month old to show little interest in solids. My son is almost 11 months and only started showing an increased interest a few weeks ago.

You say your son has a milk allergy. Is it possible he may have other food allergies? Do you have them in your family? Some babies resist eating solids because they are allergic. Sounds crazy that they would know but it has happened. Try to just go with the flow and keep offering. He will start eating when he's ready. You won't be breastfeeding forever though it may feel like it now.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

My son is 7.5 months and is the same way. he is starting to do some better though. There are just some days he doesn't want solids and I don't force it. There are others he seems to really want food. He does eat better if I make his food. He really likes that and of course he is now doing BLS and feeding himself a lot which he LOVES!!! Have you tried letting your baby do finger foods like peas or carrots? That is easy to fix too.

My son is 9 1/2 months old and he has just begun getting more intereseted in food, especially when he sees us eating. He too will NOT take a bottle, nor take any breastmilk in a cup, so I can understand the NO END feeling. He has really bad eczema, we haven't been so lucky to get an allergy test or anything done, due to his PED not thinking its necessary, but that is another story. I eliminate milk from my diet and that seems to help, so I am sure he too has some allergy. Careful though. I found some baby foods that include milk or a milk form in them. Most of them will have an allergy allert in the ingredient section though, so just be careful to check. Other then that, offer what small amounts he will take, and let him gradually build himself up to what is comfortable for him. If that mean 2 oz. then fine, his main source of nutrition is you anyways and has to be at least the first year. Eating right now is just practice, some take to it well, others have to learn to like something other then MOMMY . Good luck

This is really dependent on the baby. I have twins, so believe me, I know. I had to start Gwen early b/c she started chewing on me she wanted solids so bad, and she took to a spoon and seems to be a bottomless pit. Jules was more like, nipple please?! I had to spend over a month letting her smear food all over herself and now she eats much better. I was originally trying to stop her from getting her hands in her mouth while I was feeding her and keeping her from making a mess. I read up on it and apparantly that's not good, so I backed off, offered the spoon, let her take food off it, let her grab it, let her smear the food on her chair, in her hair, throw it on me, and over time more and more got into her mouth. The book I was reading recommended a raincoat, it wasn't joking! She's almost caught up to Gwen now that they've moved on to self-feeding some things, maybe she just wants to do it herself.

My DD wasn't interested in solids until 10 or 11 months old. At least you know your not alone or doing anything wrong as all of these other ladies seem to have DC that do the same thing!!! I just kept offering solids to my LO and eventually she ate . . . now I can't keep enough food available for her