Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on comfort nursing

Default Suggestions on comfort nursing

This Friday is my son's 2 month check-up and shots. Some have suggested that I try nursing during or right after to comfort him, but I have oversupply and OALD and I'm afraid that it'll only aggravate him at a time when he just wants to suck. At home, he rarely comfort nurses b/c he gets fussy, so we use the pacifier. I wish that he could/would comfort nurse, but I'm glad that I have more than enough to give him.

So should I just plan on using the pacifier to soothe him? Should I try to nurse him right afterwards? If I don't, should I expect problems later in the day with nursing? I'm so worried that the shots are going to effect him to where he won't want to nurse.
    Stephanie (23) Married to Troy (22) since August 2003
    Just welcomed our first baby into the world
    Our son, Caden Wesley born 10-10-07 at 1:00 AM via emergency c-section
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    10-16---8 lbs 12 oz 20 3/4 in
    10-26---9 lbs 8 oz 21 1/2 in
    12-14---12 lbs 15 oz 24 in
    02-12---15 lbs 12 oz 25 1/2 in
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in

Default Re: Suggestions on comfort nursing

You could always try nursing him and if he responds negatively give him the pacifier if you choose. It may be that since you would be nursing during what isn't normally a feeding time your oversupply won't be an issue. But it probably won't hurt to try.

I wouldn't expect problems later, do you mean you are afraid you won't have enough at feeding time if you nurse him after the shots? I wouldn't think that would be a problem. You should produce more milk to replace whatever he takes during the shots.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

No, I'm not worried about my supply. I think I'm more worried that he won't want to nurse at all later--like he'll be too tired or too grumpy, etc. I mean, I keep telling myself that he won't let himself go hungry and that he'll let me know when he's ready for it, but I'm just worried that he won't. I just need to trust him to let me know......
    Stephanie (23) Married to Troy (22) since August 2003
    Just welcomed our first baby into the world
    Our son, Caden Wesley born 10-10-07 at 1:00 AM via emergency c-section
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    10-16---8 lbs 12 oz 20 3/4 in
    10-26---9 lbs 8 oz 21 1/2 in
    12-14---12 lbs 15 oz 24 in
    02-12---15 lbs 12 oz 25 1/2 in
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by spetty8903 View Post
    This Friday is my son's 2 month check-up and shots. Some have suggested that I try nursing during or right after to comfort him, but I have oversupply and OALD and I'm afraid that it'll only aggravate him at a time when he just wants to suck. At home, he rarely comfort nurses b/c he gets fussy, so we use the pacifier. I wish that he could/would comfort nurse, but I'm glad that I have more than enough to give him.
    I did cry when my son got his two month shots. It was so sad. I held him for a minute to calm him just a bit (okay, I'll admit. It calmed me too), and then nursed him. (The nurses are pretty awesome at our dr. office. They save the shots until the very end and then jet out of the room and give us all the time we need to recover and regroup.) He felt much better, and so did I. It was reassuring to be able to soothe him. He wasn't really hungry at that moment, so he didn't nurse long anyway, which your lo may do. Just follow his lead. No matter what, he'll want momma!

So should I just plan on using the pacifier to soothe him? Should I try to nurse him right afterwards? If I don't, should I expect problems later in the day with nursing? I'm so worried that the shots are going to effect him to where he won't want to nurse.
    I would have the pacifier ready if he doesn't want to nurse or if he nurses for a minute and then decides he doesn't want it.

My lo got a fever *sniff*sniff* after his four-month shots, so we nursed on demand, day and night until he was feeling better.

Have you read the FAQ on Oversupply? It has many helpful strategies. One thought that came to mind is that you may have a forceful let down which can make baby fussy at the breast. Pumping off an ounce or so just before nursing may help with that and can get baby to that satisfying, fatty hindmilk more quickly. You may want to pump just before the appt. and nurse right after the shots.

You're his mommy just being with you and held by you will be comfort enough. But if he decides he does want to suck I would feed him before the app. and offer him the emptier side for comfort. Vaccines suck! For us when we were kids and now for when we have to watch our kids go through them..
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

No, I'm not worried about my supply. I think I'm more worried that he won't want to nurse at all later--like he'll be too tired or too grumpy, etc. I mean, I keep telling myself that he won't let himself go hungry and that he'll let me know when he's ready for it, but I'm just worried that he won't. I just need to trust him to let me know......
    He will definitely let you know! Trust him and most importantly trust yourself! One of the biggest things I learned from the ladies on this forum is that mama instincts are almost always right, we just have to learn to trust them. It really helped me get past a lot of the stress that came with being a new mom.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I was terribly scared for our 2-month shots - my sister even came along with us for moral support! And you know what? My son barely cried at all! It might be really different for your little one, of course, but I thought a positive story might help your apprehension a little.

BTW, he did get a low fever about a day after (ack! scary to us new parents! but nothing to worry about) but mostly was cranky and tired - it didn't affect his nursing.

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    He will definitely let you know! Trust him and most importantly trust yourself! One of the biggest things I learned from the ladies on this forum is that mama instincts are almost always right, we just have to learn to trust them. It really helped me get past a lot of the stress that came with being a new mom.
    Amen! I was nursing my little guy before his nap and thought this very thing. I had left it out earlier. Listen to your "mommy voice". That was the *BEST* piece of advice my sister gave me during my pregnancy.

This Friday is my son's 2 month check-up and shots.

I wish that he could/would comfort nurse, but I'm glad that I have more than enough to give him.

So how'd it go?

Hi,

We have lo's born on the same day! We had our shots on Wednesday and I too have OALD and I nursed her right after the shots for about 5 mins which seemed to calm her. She was a little cranky for the rest of the day, but by the next morning she was back to her usual self. She did sleep through one feed (I block feed) so I just pumped off some milk to make myself comfortable.

Hope all went well with your visit.