Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone interested in swapping baby food?

Default Anyone interested in swapping baby food?

Okay, maybe I'm crazy. But, I had this idea...

I try as much as possible to make Gabe's baby food from scratch. More often than not, though, I find myself resorting to Gerber food and I really hate that. But otherwise, all Gabe would get to eat most of the time would be carrots and squash and sweet potatoes, because those things are easy to make. I will also give him a bit of banana mashed up, or some other fruit like that. But it's hard to have the whole baby food pallette available, since 1) one squash makes so much baby food, 2) it often goes bad before I can use it all up, and 3) it's time-consuming to try and make up several different fruits and veggies every day or two.

So I got to thinking, what if I had a few other moms to swap food with? Like, one of us make peas, one carrots, another squash, another sweet potatoes...whatever. Make it in bulk, and then send portions to each of the other moms, and they do the same with their assigned foods? Depending on the number of participants, we could each have two foods; or switch which foods we make every other week...since I'm assuming most of us (unless we have older babies) will not be able to use up 6-8 or so baby food containers in 3-4 days.

I realize there's some logistics involved and those would have to be worked out and agreed upon. But...any thoughts? Anyone interested? I'd try bringing it up with the women I know here in town who have babies, but their babies are all significantly older or younger than my own. If a fair number of us here were interested, we could even divide ourselves into "swap groups" depending on the ages of our babies...

Dunno. Just an idea.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Default Re: Anyone interested in swapping baby food?

Sounds like a great idea, although I think all the logistics involved might make it more of a headache than help (such as planning, finding people in your area to sign up, and driving around to each others' houses to swap food).

Have you tried freezing the baby food you make? I just starting feeding my baby solids and am surprised at how easy it has been to make foods from scratch in batches and freeze them. I bought these little plastic cubes with lids (1oz. each)... after they are frozen, you could either pop out the cubes and put them in zip-lock bags in the freezer for later use, or since they are microwave safe, you could microwave them and feed straight from the containers (although I prefer to just put them in a large cup of warm water to warm them). The freezer keeps the foods fresh for weeks, even months.

Also, it might make things easier if you cook whatever you are cooking for your baby for yourself as well, that way you won't end up with huge batches of baby food. For example, if you are making squash, set aside enough for however many servings you want to freeze for your baby, and use the rest to make something for yourself.

Hope this helps!

Sarah

Hi there. The freezing method is a great way to go, and sooo easy! Also, remember, babies can pretty much eat/try everything so what I do a lot of the time is prepare something for myself and before adding salt take out my daughters share and wack it in the babyblender. She's had loads of dishes and because I bf, she is used to the taste of everything I eat, has no objection and even likes leeks, onions and garlic! This afternoon we had a bbq, she had her share of potato and sausages!
    Mummy to sweet little Roselyne, born 20 Dec 2006 and Baby Arthur born 4 Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah3910 View Post
    Have you tried freezing the baby food you make? I just starting feeding my baby solids and am surprised at how easy it has been to make foods from scratch in batches and freeze them. I bought these little plastic cubes with lids (1oz. each)... after they are frozen, you could either pop out the cubes and put them in zip-lock bags in the freezer for later use, or since they are microwave safe, you could microwave them and feed straight from the containers (although I prefer to just put them in a large cup of warm water to warm them). The freezer keeps the foods fresh for weeks, even months.
    I love the freeze cube method. It is so convenient and makes meal planning for the LO so easy - one cube of sweet potatoes and one cube of peas is usually her afternoon meal. The cubes are the perfect portion size too for starting solids. Just increase the number of cubes as your LO grows. I just use plan old ice cube trays that I bought from Wal-Mart. They came in a pack of 4 so I can make several different foods in one cooking session if needed. Once frozen, I just pop them out and place in freezer bags, label the bag, and suck out as much air as possible before closing to prevent freezer burn. Last night, I made my LO plums and peaches. It did take about an hour to clean, peel, steam, puree, pour out into cubes, clean equipment, then start all over. But it feels so gratifying (at least to me) that I am making my daughter the best food I can, after BM of course . I am not a great cook, but making your own babyfood is so easy! I followed the book "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron. She made it very simple and even had a lot of tips throughout the book.

The swapping food idea sounds great though. If you belong to a playgroup or mother's group this could possibly work. I think I read about this idea somewhere and thought it would be great, but all my girlfriends' kids are a year older than my LO so they are past the babyfood stage. But I do like the idea.

Yeah I would have definatly participated in somthing like this but I'm trying to get my DD to take less purees and more table food (shes 12 months) I use the Ice cub tray method also. I make a bunch of different things and freeze them, cover them with some freezer press and seal, once they are frozen I pop them out and put them in freezer zip loc bags. I try to get creative with what I make. I recently made peas and carrots which my DD loves but instead of mixing them and then freezing I poured the peas on the bottom and the carrots on the top now when I take them out they are orange and green and it makes them easy to spot in the freezer.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

I'm planning on swapping garden produce and using the ice cube thing. I'd be interested in a food swap with people I know and trust.