Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Premie in NICU, pumping with little success, HELP!!!!!

Default Re: Premie in NICU, pumping with little success, HELP!!!!!

Sorry I have been out of touch. Here is an update.

My little boy is now one month old, weighs 3 pounds, and is 15 inches long. He is doing great. Yesterday, the nurses started feeding him with a bottle. I was so happy because it is one step closer to home but upset at the same time. Unfortunately, I think that I will have to continue bottle feeding with formula because I have dried up. Even if I wanted to, I don't have enough milk to feed him at even one sitting (before I dried up) and I would still have to give him a bottle. So I think that I will be trying to breastfeed with my next child (whenever that is) but for now, I will be using formula.

Thank you for your help.

I guess that some women just can't make enough milk.

Quote Originally Posted by rbway31 View Post
    My little boy is now one month old, weighs 3 pounds, and is 15 inches long. He is doing great.
    That's WONDERFUL news!!

Yesterday, the nurses started feeding him with a bottle. I was so happy because it is one step closer to home but upset at the same time. Unfortunately, I think that I will have to continue bottle feeding with formula because I have dried up. Even if I wanted to, I don't have enough milk to feed him at even one sitting (before I dried up) and I would still have to give him a bottle. So I think that I will be trying to breastfeed with my next child (whenever that is) but for now, I will be using formula.
    It's so great to hear that your son taking food orally. One step closer to home!

I'm sorry that you had such a difficult time with bringing your production up. You really did give it your all.

If you're interested, do know that quite a few mothers of preemies have actually been able to increase their production (or even start production!) after baby is released from the hospital. If you'd like more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

I guess that some women just can't make enough milk.
    It really is uncommon (rare, even!!) for a mother not to have the ability to make enough milk. Certain situations, though, can make maintaining milk production exceptionally challenging. And, your situation did create several difficult challenges! That being said, please don't let anyone convince you that you can't make enough milk. Your breastfeeding experience this time isn't an indicator of how things will be next time.

I wish you the best! I do hope that you will continue to keep us updated on your baby's progress. Take care!

You are doing fine. Try not to worry. Be aware... most premie mom's experience a drop in spply around the 3 week mark. I did. this is normal and you supply will increase again. Try to rest more. Even if you can't sleep take every opportunity to put your feet up and close your eyes for even 2 minutes. It does help.

Remember your milk is specifically made for your premie baby. Right now that baby's stomach is the size of a chick pea. They don't need alot of milk at this age.

Keep pumping I know it's a pain but it does work!

As one premie mom to another.... keep your chin up. You are doing
    fantastic! Things will get easier.... I say this as I am nursing my little premie here in our home office nearly 5 months after coming home from the hospital.

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers .... Hope the milk man comes

My baby was born at 32 weeks by emergency c-section. In order to increase my supply I pumped around the clock every 3 hours for 20 minutes. I woke up at night and pumped. No matter what was going on, I would stop and pump because I knew it was the only way to increase my supply. My baby got the colostrum she needed and they tube fed what little milk I was producing. It wasn't until the second week of birth that I really started developing a supply. I would go from 10 cc per pump to 20 cc and then gradually upwards. It was such a joy when I was able to fill up the little hospital bottles they gave me. Some tips that helped me was having a picture of my daughter in front of my while I pumped. I also had the blanked she was swaddled in and would smell her scent. I pictured waterfalls and cows! I know it sounds crazy but it's amazing what your mind can do for you.

The other thing that was helpful is that our hospital offered bonding rooms at no charge for mothers whose babies were in the NICU. As long as they had open rooms available, we were welcome to stay there at no cost. This allowed me to spend a lot of time in the nursery with my baby and also meet wih the LC that were onsite to handle questions and concerns. Be persistent and don't give up. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your lo.