Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premie in NICU, pumping with little success, HELP!!!!!

Default Premie in NICU, pumping with little success, HELP!!!!!

I am an Army wife living in Germany. I recently had a baby at 31 weeks of gestation. My baby was born early because his blood flow was too low and his was not gaining any weight. He was born at 1044 grams (2lbs. 5 oz.) and 34 cm (13") long. He is now 12 days old and weighs 1000 grams. I am trying to pump every 3 hours and take the milk to the hospital when I go.

The problem is that every time I pump, I average 10 milliliters per pumping!! This is both breasts and one breast produces most of the milk. I have noticed that after a full night's sleep I get more but it tapers off throughout the day.

What kind of milk production should I be getting? Is there a way to increase the production? Should I even continue pumping with as little milk as I am getting? Is there a better pumping technique I should try?

Thanks for the help

Default Re: Premie in NICU, pumping with little success, HELP!!!!!

Hello and ,

I'm moving this thread to Breastfeeding Premature Infants, so that you can get responses from other mothers who have been in similar situation.

Hang in there!

Tiana

Don't give up! As long as you keep going you'll keep some milk there... and some bm is WAY better than none!
    I'd try and find someone with a 3 month or so old that u could nuse once in a while for the stimulation...

Quote Originally Posted by rbway31 View Post
    I am an Army wife living in Germany. I recently had a baby at 31 weeks of gestation. My baby was born early because his blood flow was too low and his was not gaining any weight. He was born at 1044 grams (2lbs. 5 oz.) and 34 cm (13") long. He is now 12 days old and weighs 1000 grams.

I am trying to pump every 3 hours and take the milk to the hospital when I go.
    What kind of pump are you using? How many times (total) do you pump per day? And how old is your baby?

The problem is that every time I pump, I average 10 milliliters per pumping!! This is both breasts and one breast produces most of the milk. I have noticed that after a full night's sleep I get more but it tapers off throughout the day.

What kind of milk production should I be getting? Is there a way to increase the production? Should I even continue pumping with as little milk as I am getting? Is there a better pumping technique I should try?
    The amount of milk you should expect to express is dependent on your baby's age.

It's normal for one breast to produce a little more than the other. If the difference becomes very noticible, you could try expressing an extra time or two per day on the less productive side.

The breast way to increase production is to remove milk as frequently as possible, at least 8x per day. The more milk that is removed, the more milk will be made! Recent research shows that when pumping is combined with hand expression, that milk production levels increase at a greater rate than pumping alone. Here's a video that shows mothers how to combine the techniques to maximize their milk production levels:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Rest assured that any milk you can provide your baby is beneficial. I don't know how old your baby is right now, so I can't say if what you're currently pumping is on the low side or not. But, I can say that it is totally possible to increase your milk production!

Here's an explanation of how milk production works:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html (non-LLL resource)

Here is some info about increasing milk production when baby isn't nursing:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html (non-LLL resource)

And here is some information about nursing a preemie:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBpremature.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/preemie/preemie-links.html (non-LLL resource)
    http://www.kangaroomothercare.com/

I hope this information is helpful. Please keep us updated!

I just got my baby out of NICU~he was full term but developmentally disabled.

Many moms were bringing in drops of milk in syringes.

Just stick with it. Read all you can, get your rest and try not to stress. This is a very special thing only you can do for your baby and was a great comfort to me when there was nothing else for me to give him.

Now we are home with an over abundant milk supply.

As of today, my baby is 17 days old. I have unfortunately noticed a sharp decrease in my milk production. I have gone from 15 mL per pumping to 7 mL per pumping. I am having a hard time getting up through out the night and the decreeased milk production is depressing. I am using a Medela Symphony pump. It was prescribed by my doctor. I am attempting to pump every 3-4 hours (3 is the goal) but sometimes find that hard to do. Whenever I am not at home, I am using a Medela Pump-in-Style electric portable pump.

I was recently told by a friend that I can get a prescription pill to increase my milk. Is this true? What is the name? If I don't start producing more milk soon, I imagine that I will give up. The stress of going to see my baby and pumping are killing me. The NICU is roughly 45-60 minutes away from my home. So the trip is not easy to make every day and sometimes I can't because I am too tired or it is too late to go. It makes me feel like a bad mom even though I know a tired mom is worse.

I guess that I am just looking for some moral support as well as instruction. Thank you to everyone who has replied.

Keep it up. It seems really frustrating, but the stress can effect your milk supply too. So many people told me not to get upset when we were still in the NICU. I kept asking them how I was supposed to not be upset with a preemie in the NICU.

Keep pumping. If you are getting up nights to pump, try to either think of your baby or do something that will keep your mind off of how long you are pumping. Try not to watch the clock. I really enjoyed pumping at my baby's cribside. I could watching him and then afterwards I would hold him for about an hour, kangaroo care. After I left, I would have a snack and drank lots of water. With my main meals I made a cup of mothers milk tea.

I also had a 2.5 year old that i would let nurse after I was done pumping and I'm sure that was a huge help. How long are you pumping for? I would double pump both breasts for at least 15 minutes, but if I was worried about supply, I would pump longer, sometimes 20-30. It seems like a lot, but I was really nervous about keeping my supply up for both my newborn and my toddler. Keep us updated to how you are doing and if you need to vent, feel free to e-mail me. Its hard to pump sometimes, and you sound very frustrated. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

I would suggest to do skin to skin holding with your lo if possible. This is encouraged in the NICU I work in! It is wonderful for your baby and for your supply. As soon as you put your baby back in his/her isolette go and pump. Also make sure you are drinking enough fluids. And I'm sure that they have LC there to help you too. Good luck and stick with it it's worth it!

On the pump, could you talk to your doctor about swapping it for a Medela Classic? This pump works exceptionally well for mothers who are bringing in a supply w/out nursing.

Definitely try the technique outlined in this resource:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Pump as often as you can, even if you have only 5 minutes to spare.

Here is some info about prescription galactagogues (milk increasers):
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html

Update?