Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about 9 month old

Default Questions about 9 month old

My 9 1/2 month old weighed 19lbs. 2 oz. at his 9 month checkup. That seems small to me. My concern is that I am not nursing enough, or that I am not making enough. His schedule is mostly breastfeed, about 4-5 times a day, cereal and fruit in the morning, snacks and jar food in the afternoon. I always BF first, then offer foods. What more can I do to help him gain, or help to nourish my milk? I have tried pumping, but don't have much success with that. When he nurses, I do hear him gulpping, and afterwards burps with satisfaction . My next concern isn't crawling nor pulling up. He will be 10 months in a week, and I see other babies younger or same age doing these things. Should I be concerned?

Default Re: Questions about 9 month old

My DD weighs 18 pounds at 10 months. At her 9 month checkup she was a little over 17 pounds. There are even some babies (on this website!) smaller than that. I do not think there is anything wrong with your lo's weight, especially if he seems satisfied after eating.

As for crawling, that is not really considered a milestone as long as babies have some way to get around. Does he roll etc? Babies just develop at different rates. I would not be concerned yet.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

My DD is 18.11 and she is 12 months .. don't worry about his size. As long as he is having wet/dirty diapers and gaining don't worry about it. As for the pulling up and crawling I agree with the previous poster, I would not be too concerned. All babys develop at different rates, if your really concerned mention it to your doctor at your next checkup and see what she/he has to say.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

Thanks for the reassurance. He does roll over, was delayed with that too, but accomplished it. He is my 5th baby, and really different from the rest. Almost makes me feel like a NEW MOMMY again. Although, there have been concerens with his diapers. We have had a couple where after 4 hours or so they aren't really wet. I started taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle, and as of today they seem better. He seems happy though. He has really bad Eczema(always open to advice with that, if anyone has any) so at times I wonder if that is a cause to his slow weight issue. But I am not going to put to much concern it anymore. As for feeding him, at this age how many times should they be nursing a day? Thanks again to those who replied.

Extra virgin organic coconut oil and Gentle Naturals Baby Eczema shampoo were what I used to treat my son's eczema and they seem to have worked since he doesn't seem to have it anymore.
    I also put a little bit of the same coconut oil (I use the brand Nutiva, it is delicious) in his veggies too for adding some pounds and since it is such a healthy oil.
    As for nursing, I think it depends on the efficiency of the baby. Mine has never been very efficient and at 14 months he still nurses about 6-8 times in 24 hours. Are you nursing on demand or on a schedule? Nursing more frequently (if he takes it of course) can increase your supply and his weight gain too.

Mine seems pretty efficient and at 12 months she nurses about 4 times a day. Lately though she has been waking at about 6:00am to nurse and going back to bed. (so that would make 5) but usually its 4. And the first two nurses are good nurses the other two are more like snacks. She pops on and off quite a bit so I dont think she gets a lot during those nursing sessions. Other then that she eats breakfast, lunch is more of a snack and then dinner. Throughout the day she'll sometimes have some freeze dried fruit, puffs, or mum mums.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

My 9 month old weighs 14 lbs. :P She's only belly-crawling so far, and can't even sit up consistently yet. (She'll sit if I place her there for about 10 seconds and doesn't realize she can catch herself if she falls). Our solids are a little sporadic but we try to do a tiny bit of fruit and cereal in the morning and some meat and veggies in the afternoon.
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food

Your LO sounds fine to me.. I used to be worried bout my baby too, almost 9mo and weighs 16 lb 2oz. I found a thread that made me feel sooooo much better.. check this out.. Small LO

Thanks for all the response and advice. I really feel better. To answer a few of the questions, I do nurse on demand, and I always offer BF before I give any solids. As for the coconut oil, do you rub that into the baby's skin?

Sounds like your baby is doing just fine. My son was 17 lbs. 4 ounces at his 9 month appt and isn't much more than that now at nearly 11 months. He still nurses about 8 times per day and eats about 2 meals with a couple snacks. Breastmilk has more calories and fat than almost all other foods so it's better to just to up your baby's breastmilk intake. Avocado is very high in good fat and calories so you could try that too...

Anne

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807