Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do solids fit in?

Default How do solids fit in?

We are just starting rice cereal at almost 5 mths. Yesterday I made it very runny with ebm and we tried with a spoon. It was a mess! Anyway, should I give him rice cereal everyday now at least once? When should I thicken it up? Yesterday it was very runny. And when should I start with the baby foods? He did a great job for his first try! Also, how does it fit in with bf-ing? Would he nurse less often?

Oh, one more: I am pumping for bottles while I am at work...it's so hard to get enough for that. Would it be horrible if I just use water to mix with the rice cereal?

Default Re: How do solids fit in?

Yes, and where are the helpful stickies about introducing solids?

We skipped the rice cereal so I can't answer those questions. I think I would just try making it thicker and if he doesn't like it, add more liquid. I think it tastes pretty bad to start with - so with water would taste like nothing IMO.

Most recommendations around here would be about 6 mos for any solid food because this is the age when LOs intestines are more mature so that food allergies decrease.

There is some great info at kellymom (non-LLL source) about introducing solids to the breastfed baby. It recommends that solids compliment breastmilk, once a day, and to keep nursing just as before.

We started our LO with bananas first (at 5 1/2 months) since I've read that it's the most like breastmilk, but we have been giving her cereal. I initially mixed it with ready-to-feed formula since I have so much of it (I'm a NICU nurse and the girls in the nursery gave me so many samples and canisters of formula!) mainly because I didn't want to "waste" my EBM in case she didn't feel like having her cereal. I also felt that she needed the vitamin D since I haven't been giving her multivits yet.

But now I have been mixing the rice cereal into her applesauce or pearsauce to thicken it up a little. (I've put the formula back on the shelf for now.) She's enjoying the different textures! I started thin, but she loved the thicker consistency. She tends to gobble it up faster when it's thicker and not quite as messy.

We did 1 solid meal a day until the pedi told me that she needed to go to at least 2 a day at her 6 month check-up. She was starting to fall of the chart! (I personally think that she's just a petite little girl like her mama ) So now at 6 1/2 months we're doing 2 meals a day: cereal + fruit in the morning then veggies in the afternoon.

She is still BF-ing at least 5-7 times a day when I am home. The solids are usually an hour and a half after she BFs unless she's really looking hungry. When she goes to my mom's, she gets her bottles every 4-5 hours but has her meals in between the bottles. (DH made the mistake one day to feed her a full bottle then tried to give her solids right after...let's just say that my LO was quite the defiant little one! She practically screamed every time DH brought the spoon to her mouth!)

I wouldn't start solids until he is 6 months old. As for the cereal, it is a completely useless food. I had to give it to my son because of the BF difficulties we had and he wouldn't take EBM any other way but if these didn't happen I would never give it. It has no nutritional value (the only thing in it is added iron and it is absorbed only at 4%) and I even think it contributed to my son's low iron because it prevents the iron in BM from being absorbed properly. I gave my son solids only once a day in the evening until he was 9 months old. After that we made it twice a day and at 14 months we are still doing 2-3 times a day and nurse for the rest of the meals. The first year is for BM. Solids are just for getting used to different tastes.

Our pedi actually told us to start the rice cereal at our 4 mth checkup...we've waited until almost 5 to start. He said that we are not looking to get Alston's calories, etc from the cereal, just get him used to tasting solids and taking them from a spoon. So we are....not every day, just a little every now and then.

We still have the ready-mixed formula (Similac I think) that the hospital had on our baby cart when he was born. (He had to have a bottle after he was born because I was passed out...long story.) But would that be better than using water with the cereal if I don't have any bm available?

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    I wouldn't start solids until he is 6 months old. As for the cereal, it is a completely useless food. I had to give it to my son because of the BF difficulties we had and he wouldn't take EBM any other way but if these didn't happen I would never give it. It has no nutritional value (the only thing in it is added iron and it is absorbed only at 4%) and I even think it contributed to my son's low iron because it prevents the iron in BM from being absorbed properly. I gave my son solids only once a day in the evening until he was 9 months old. After that we made it twice a day and at 14 months we are still doing 2-3 times a day and nurse for the rest of the meals. The first year is for BM. Solids are just for getting used to different tastes.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by alston's mama View Post
    Our pedi actually told us to start the rice cereal at our 4 mth checkup...
    That's not good advice........
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

If you are just getting him "ready" for food and the spoon, skip it altogether. When he is ready to be eating solids, NOTHING will stop him! About a week before Abby turned 6 mos she started intently watching us everytime we were chewing or drinking anything. Grabbing at our food to try to get it out of our hands. When we did start solids she was very enthusiastic. When they are developmentally ready they will be ready. Spoon feeding so the baby will be ready for food later is kind of like trying to force them to walk before they are ready. When he is developmentally ready for food, he'll let you know. There is no rush! Starting too soon can actually cause food allergies and as PPer said, cause iron to be absorbed poorly.