Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: refusing breast

Default refusing breast

BF'ing seems to be 2 steps forward 1 step back for us. I'm trying not to fret over everything but I just get so worried that everything I'm doing is wrong. Oversupply issue is doing better the past few days. Now today DS will not take the breast. Did excellant during the night and with this mornings 1st feeding. I then pumped. Since then he will not take the breast. I have given him two bottles of EBM today. What I mean by not taking the breast is he is crying and when I try to nurse him he acts hungry like immediately rooting for my breast when I hold him, will take the nipple for a few seconds and then start to cry again. It may not be the breast who knows, I just fed him 3 1/2 oz and he's sitting here sucking his hand or shirt and starting to fuss. Will giving him those bottles make him not ever want to take the breast? And if so, what do I do about that. I was so frustrated at week 2 & 3, I wanted to give up BF'ing now it scares me to think that he might not want to BF because now I love it so much. Maybe since my milk flow has slowed down a little he's frustrated? He's 4 1/2 weeks. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Dawn

Default Re: refusing breast

Oh, my -- what a rollercoaster for you! I'm sorry you are going through this.

So he does root, latch, and suck briefly before he cries? This doesn't sound to me like a nursing strike -- with a strike, the baby more typically is upset by the very sight of momma's breast, and may push it away or pull away forcefully. So that's good news.

Nipple confusion is a possibility, although if his latch feels okay, it's probably not a _nipple_ problems so much as a flow preference -- perhaps he has grown to prefer the faster flow of the bottle, especially since your oversupply issues have been improving (which often also brings a somewhat slower milk flow at letdown).

Another idea is that perhaps you have eaten something with a new flavor that is now turning up in your breastmilk. I had a friend whose very young baby reacted similarly the first time she ate Thai food after his birth. She tasted her own breastmilk and it was in fact noticeably spicy! Have you eaten anything unusual (unusual meaning something you haven't had much of in the month since he was born), or perhaps a great amount of something that is now in season, like a particular vegetable, something like that?

If it is nipple/flow preference, then don't lose faith -- this is just one more bump in the road that you can work through with love and patience. Try giving him a lot of "kangaroo care" (carrying and holding him skin-to-skin as much as possible), perhaps take some warm baths together, and switch to another feeding method like syringe, cup, spoon, or SNS for any EBM feedings.

Hang in there and let us know how it goes. I'm rooting for you!

--Rebecca

Default Re: refusing breast

Improvement last night & today. I was afraid it could be nipple confusion. I think my diet has been pretty much the same. I will definitely take a look at how he reacts after I eat Italian food. Seems like he got fussy after I had lasagna one night and then I had spaghetti before this fussy period. Much better today though. I was trying to believe it could have been just an "attitude" thing yesterday---I guess we all have off days even babies so we'll just wait it out. I keep replaying your words from other posts-----trust your body, trust your baby. We were made for this, right? Thanks for your advice.
    Dawn