Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby tucking upper lip

Default baby tucking upper lip

Hi, my 6 week old DD tucks her upper lip when nursing. It's covered in blisters, and nursing is often uncomfortable for me. Has anyone else figured out how to fix this? I've tried tugging her lip with my finger but it does not move. I think she's latched on right usually - sometimes I can tell it's not a good latch, but usually it's OK. Anyone else been there? Thanks!!

Default Re: baby tucking upper lip

My DS6weeks also does this. His upper frenulum is very tight. A lactation counselor that I met with said to press up on the cheek above the lip. It can cause nursing soreness from what I have been told. Good luck

honestly ds still does that from time to time and he is almost 9 months. it has never really given us any latch problems that I can tell.

My dd often has her top lip tucked in, and I've noticed that she does the same with bottles too. I had a lot of pain for the first two months, and she often had a little blister on her lip. I didn't know then that I should/could do anything about that other than breaking the latch and starting over again, but now I can just lift her lip so that it is out without disturbing the latch (or her). I'm not sure if her top lip was involved with the latch when she was smaller, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference now (but maybe that's a problem? ). She hasn't had a blister in a month or so (and she's almost four months now).

I'm glad to hear someone else out there has had this! I wonder about DD's frenulum - I will have her dr check it at the next visit. Judging by what you guys have said, it sounds like maybe the lip will correct itself on its own. Hope so! Thanks for writing.