Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reflux?? Will only feed lying down!

Question Reflux?? Will only feed lying down!

Hello! Does this sound familiar to anyone out there? My little lad is 6 months old. We’ve had all sorts of problems with breastfeeding – positioning, latching, supply, sore nipples, 6 hours in casualty due to him throwing up blood from my cracked nipple, weight loss, nipple confusion – you name it!

But we’ve sorted all that out, he latches well, my supply is good (largely due to lots of expressing I think), he switches back and forth between breast and bottle no bother, he’s gaining weight steadily and is generally a very contented little chap. He’s on formula as well as breast milk because he just kept losing weight with exclusive breastfeeding – also I’ve just gone back to work so we would have had to introduce alternative feeding anyway.

So what’s the problem? He will only breastfeed lying down and preferably while asleep! If I try and feed him with me sitting up he just can’t get comfortable, arches away and cries. This is upsetting for us both and of course a tad inconvenient if he needs a feed in Tesco as we can hardly lie on the floor of the café!! He also throws up a lot – small amounts but frequently including long after feeds – and is generally very windy and smelly (but gorgeous otherwise obviously).

I’m starting to suspect reflux. I don’t think our problem is entirely to do with mixed feeding – although this did cause latching difficulties earlier on – because the arching away and discomfort occurred just as much when he was being exclusively breastfed. Also my gut feeling is that it isn’t to do with what I’m eating – I feel like it’s something more fundamental in his body, but of course I could be wrong, I haven’t got a clue really!

If you are reading this and thinking “wow that’s just like my baby” please reply! I look forward to hearing from you even if we don’t come up with any “solutions”.

PS Two more things that may or may not be relevant. He has had very smelly farts from day one (the midwives couldn’t believe it) and a very small placenta (about half the size of his elder brother’s). I just mention that because it’s stuck in my mind.

Default Re: Reflux?? Will only feed lying down!

I'm also undergoing similar thing in my life.My DD spends about 2 hrs drinking 2 oz of milk from bottle and she has stopped bfing when she is awake and I can Bfeed her only when she is sleeping.All these things started after she was diagonized with reflux.We tried zantac and it did'nt work and worst part is sometime I feel she has forgotten how to suck the bottle.I'm seeing LC again tomorrow.Now I have come to point where I'm not bothered she is BF/Bottle Fed only think i want to do is make her drink something and make her sleep so i can take some rest(Its a selfish thought).Most of the days I don't even get time to pump, eat lunch and in the middle of all these if she cries without taking bottle I don't know what to do.Sometimes I feel I failed as a mom.I pray to God and hope someday she get better.She is now 4 months old and she was fine till 3 months.

When my baby had reflux eating lying down made his reflux much worse, but he would eat either sitting up or lying down. Maybe your baby just prefers lying down with you? I notice that my baby goes to sleep faster and is more relaxed when we lay down feed.

Here are some thoughts I had after reading your post....

Sounds to me like your baby could have reflux (just from what I know about it), but I wonder if him wanting to lay down to breastfeed is unrelated. Does he take a bottle only while laying down? Maybe he associates breastfeeding with sleep? So nursing time signals nap time to him?

Or maybe nursing is just easier for him to handle lying down? My dd has reflux, and she also has trouble getting through letdown without sputtering when she is upright, but handles it really well while she's laying down. I always thought it had something to do with gravity, but maybe it is to do with reflux! I'm not sure how that would make sense though - wouldn't being upright help the milk (and stomach acid) stay down, and wouldn't laying down to eat make it harder to swallow?

More questions than answers! Good luck though.

Quote Originally Posted by mangai
    I'm also undergoing similar thing in my life.My DD spends about 2 hrs drinking 2 oz of milk from bottle and she has stopped bfing when she is awake and I can Bfeed her only when she is sleeping.All these things started after she was diagonized with reflux.We tried zantac and it did'nt work and worst part is sometime I feel she has forgotten how to suck the bottle.I'm seeing LC again tomorrow.Now I have come to point where I'm not bothered she is BF/Bottle Fed only think i want to do is make her drink something and make her sleep so i can take some rest(Its a selfish thought).Most of the days I don't even get time to pump, eat lunch and in the middle of all these if she cries without taking bottle I don't know what to do.Sometimes I feel I failed as a mom.I pray to God and hope someday she get better.She is now 4 months old and she was fine till 3 months.
    Sounds like you're having a really tough time of it. I know what you mean about feeling a failure cos I often feel the same but you musn't, you're doing a fab job doing everything you can to meet your baby's needs. Also it's not selfish to need a rest, it's vital!! I'm feeling reassured to find out that lots of other babies seem to have feeding problems, so I know it's not just me doing something wrong! Good luck, hope things get better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey'sMommy
    When my baby had reflux eating lying down made his reflux much worse, but he would eat either sitting up or lying down. Maybe your baby just prefers lying down with you? I notice that my baby goes to sleep faster and is more relaxed when we lay down feed.
    Yeah I thought for ages it was just personal preference, but I've started to think there's something else going on, especially now we're starting to have some of the same problems even when lying down! Wondering if there is a connection to new foods being introduced during weaning??

Quote Originally Posted by mesta

Does he take a bottle only while laying down? Maybe he associates breastfeeding with sleep?

My dd has reflux, and she also has trouble getting through letdown without sputtering when she is upright, but handles it really well while she's laying down. I always thought it had something to do with gravity, but maybe it is to do with reflux! I'm not sure how that would make sense though - wouldn't being upright help the milk (and stomach acid) stay down, and wouldn't laying down to eat make it harder to swallow?

More questions than answers! Good luck though.
    It's all very baffling isn't it? This is my second child and one thing I'm learning is that sometimes we just can't get to the bottom of a problem no matter how hard we try. He'll take a bottle in just about any position and has always been happy with bottles, which is a great relief. He's just getting over hand foot and mouth and the blisters in his mouth have been causing him discomfort with both types of feeding. He started "messing around" on the bottle in exactly the same way he always does at the breast unless we are lying down and I thought "aha!", there must always be some kind of pain/discomfort going on when he's trying to breastfeed - can't believe it's taken me so long to figure out. Now I just need to find the right remedy or maybe this is something he will eventually grow out of.