Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: update on baby matt

Default update on baby matt

Matthew is five weeks old today!! He has grown soo much...he was born at 3 pounds 5 ounces (29 weeks) and is now approaching the 5 pound mark. I would have been 34 weeks pregnant now. He is doing so well and I'm really hoping we can bring him home soon - the only things left he has to do are take all his feedings by nipple (breast or bottle) and not have any apnea episodes for seven days. He is nursing pretty well I think. I use the breastshield b/c he just can't stay latched on otherwise - I have big breasts and he has a little mouth. He's very slow - he'll take a few deep sucks and then has to stop and rest for a minute. But he'll usually keep it up for 15-20 minutes. Currently they are still giving him a tube feeding as soon as I finish nursing him. Then when I am not there they try him on a bottle and give him whatever he doesn't finish through the tube. I was worried about nipple confusion but so far that doesn't seem to be an issue - he goes right for my breast whenever I am there. My only concern is I have no idea how much he is getting when I nurse. I hear him swallowing some and see some drip out of his mouth - so he is getting something. But I don't know if it is a full feed - or a half a feed - or just a tiny amount. Last night the nurse sucked out his feeding tube as soon as he finished eating (they always clear it out before a tube feeding) and there was only 2 cc's of breastmilk in his belly (an ounce is 30 cc's) - that was very depressing to me since I had just nursed him for 20 minutes and thought he had done well. She did say he could have already digested some of it though. I just don't know what to do. I thought he was doing well but after seeing how very little he is getting it just makes me want to give up. I'm afraid I'll get him home and be starving him...or else I'll have to nurse/pump/bottlefeed every 2-3 hours which I flat out just don't have the time for. I'll pump for as long as I can - but honestly with a newborn and a 16 month old I'm sure it'll quickly get to the point where he'll either nurse directly or else be formula fed. Any words of advice?

Default Re: update on baby matt

Oh, please do not be discouraged... Your little guy is taking just what he needs. When he gets home you will just need to watch his out put, like all other moms do. Congrats on your new baby, I am sure that he will be just fine. Do you have a local LLL group?

I am curious, how much do "they" want him to take? My girls were 5lbs 6 oz and 5 lbs 7 oz at birth and the NICU docs wanted them to take 25 ccs by the time we left the NICU (they were 35 weekers). How much do they feed him after nursing? And, could you do a weigh in before and after nursing to see how much he is taking in?

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

Quote Originally Posted by LLL Angi
    I am curious, how much do "they" want him to take? My girls were 5lbs 6 oz and 5 lbs 7 oz at birth and the NICU docs wanted them to take 25 ccs by the time we left the NICU (they were 35 weekers). How much do they feed him after nursing? And, could you do a weigh in before and after nursing to see how much he is taking in?
    His full feeding right now is 44 cc's....and he weighs just under 5 pounds. He was getting 30 ccs in a tube after I nursed him but now that it doesn't like he is getting much they started giving him the whole 44 everytime. I did ask about weighing him before and after a feeding but the nurse wouldn't do it b/c she said it was stressful for him to get all undressed and everything so they only like to weigh them once a day. I wonder why they couldn't just weigh him in his clothes and diaper though? I mean they would way the same before and after a feeding so that shouldn't matter. I'll have to ask one of the doctors about it. Also last night he choked while nursing and had an episode w/ his heartbeat and breathing. Which normally that wouldn't be a good thing but it does show he it at least getting some milk if he is able to spit up and choke. I talked to his doctor this morning and he is guessing he'll be there another 2-3 weeks (longer than I thought ) so at least that gives us some more time to practice before we go home. Also my husband took off all of next week so he can stay home with our daughter and I can spend lots of nice at the NICU - which means more breastfeeding and less bottles!

hello! I just want to offer a word of encouragement. I could have written your post. I would watch them suck the milk out of my son's stomach using the feeding tube and be really discouraged at seeing so little.

My other son was 18 months old when I brought him home and decided to start nursing him full time. Get some help for the first week if you can. I took my son for daily weight checks to make sure that I was not starving him. It took a few days, just like it does with any new baby, but he did get it.

You can do it!

I don't see why they can't weigh him with the clothes and diaper on? I mean if you do it before the feed, then after it will be the same. There's no need to take off the clothes. I'd definitely speak with the doctors on this one, highly doubt it would be that stressful at this point, unless there are other concerns. BM is also easily digestible, so that could be why and it does take them some time to get a strong suck going. Even when I started nursing mine at 9mths , it took about a month before she really got the hang of it and I was able to discontinue bottles completely.

As for the pump thing with a toddler, believe me I understand. I had a 18mth old when I brought mine home. It really was difficult pumping then feeding. I would keep my baby in her bouncer next to me and bring my toddler's fav book with me and we'd read as I pumped or sometime i'd keep a special snack treat near my pump and give it to her or a special toy that she only plays with when I pump. So it makes her feel special too when i'm pumping. Many days i did want to quit pumping and give formula, but I knew bm was the best thing for her and she needed all the extra help I could give her by providing bm. I'm confident that all that hard work paid off, she's never been sick (except one minor cold for a few days) and she's almost 20 mths.