Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microwaving cow milk?

Default Microwaving cow milk?

Can you do that? DD won't drink very much but I think how cold it is has a bit to do with it. I always heated up any drink from the fridge just a little to take off the bite. Will this spoil it?

Default Re: Microwaving cow milk?

I think your best bet is to warm up any liquid your baby will be consuming with warm water. Microwaves can cause such dangerous hot spots and you not even knowing it's there - could burn your LO's mouth =(

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

I always microwave my dd's milk in a coffee cup , then pour it into a sippy cup and sometimes add a little honey or syrup to it, then shake. Never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by awnja View Post
    I always microwave my dd's milk in a coffee cup , then pour it into a sippy cup and sometimes add a little honey or syrup to it, then shake. Never had a problem.
    Honey? I thought that was a no-no because of botulism...
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

Honey is a bit no-no until a certian age - I never let my kids have it until they were 5 years old.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Can you do that? DD won't drink very much but I think how cold it is has a bit to do with it. I always heated up any drink from the fridge just a little to take off the bite. Will this spoil it?
    Nope, it won't spoil it and it should't really make a difference in nutrition because the milk is already pasteurized.
    I don't think you have to worry about hot spots if you are sure to warm it only to warm and swirl/shake it thoroughly.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I used to do as another pp mentioned for the night time... warm in a container that the kids wouldnt be getting, sometimes I'd add a drop or two of vanilla in there then transfer it - .. . (obviously this isnt with my precious allergic DS2 )

Good luck!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Both honey and cow's milk are no-no's before 12 months. My kid is 3. I've used honey milk as an alternative to breastfeeding during our very gradual weaning. Figured it's better than chocolate milk. Vanilla is a great idea. Plain is great if she isn't looking for something a little sweeter (like mom's). She's NEVER liked cold milk. Soy, cow's, whatever... always gotta warm it up a bit.

Connor likes cold milk better when he has something yummy to wash it down with! Some things you just HAVE to have milk with, IYKWIM. For a special treat he loves the strawberry Horizon milk, they come in a three pack.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I've always just given my kids cold milk in a sippy cup and we've had no problems . . . when I first started giving them milk, they looked at me like WHAT IS THIS CRAP MOM?! But they caught on pretty quickly - good luck - it's quite the transition!