Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9-month weight gain (or lack thereof!)

Default 9-month weight gain (or lack thereof!)

My DS had his 9-month checkup last Thursday. He remains in the 85% percentile for height (29.25 inches!) and 60% percentile for head circumference. But - he has dropped from the 25% to the 5% percentile for weight - he is only 16 lb, 11 oz! He is crawling, pulling himself up to standing, and otherwise doing everything he "is supposed to" at this age...it is just that he is so darn skinny. Should I be worried? The clinician said that "he's doing great", but that I should bring him back in another six weeks for a weight check and that I should increase his solids intake from 3 times/day to 4 times. I have upped his solids and he seems ok with it. Any thoughts on this? I know I should not worry, but I am losing confidence looking at such a low percentile. I am wondering if he is taking after my body type - I am a small-boned Filipina; 5"6 and 100 lbs. I get slack from the IL's too, since my nephew is 2 yrs old and 35 lbs...the implication is that I am starving DS or something. Help! TIA!

Default Re: 9-month weight gain (or lack thereof!)

Oops - I meant I get "flak" from the IL's - English is not my first language! BTW, DS bf's 4-5x/day in addition to the solids; not sure if this will help everyone answer my question or not. Thanks!

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

The growth charts were designed for FF Europen babies. Asian babies tend to be a bit lighter. All the usual things, as long as he's doing lots of wet and dirty nappies, is generally happy and active he's fine. And he's gaining weight, just at his own pace. If he was losing weight, it would be a cause for concern, but he's not.

As you can see below I also have a little baby and am quite petite myself, so it is heriditary.

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My ped. said that kids often drop percentiles from the 6 to 9 month checkup because of the introduction of solid foods (I don't know why introducing solids would make you drop weight...) so he said to expect it. Are you still bfing? Personally, I wouldn't up solids to four times a day because kids still need a lot of thier nutrition from bm (or formula) at that age. I know it is hard not to worry and think that you are starving your baby, but I think you've got something when you say he comes from a small family.

Yeah, I still nurse DS 4-5x/day. I was thinking the same thing about the solids...like why give them 4x/day when breast milk has so much more nutritional/caloric value.

My DD gained 10 ounces in three months between her 9 month and 12 month check up. But shes very active, and from the sounds of it, your little one is too. So I would not worry too much. Like people said, if he was not having any dirty/wet diapers, or was loosing weight then I'd worry. He just sounds tall. I try not to take the growth carts too seriously. My little one is 32 percentile for height, 11th for weight (she was 29th for weight so she has dropped) and exceeds the 96th for head size. So if I were to take it seriously.. not only is she under weight... she has a freakishly large head but I don't take it seriously. Shes perfect.. just tiny. Don't worry, just go buy a belt to keep his pants up and keep doing what you are doing.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

Sounds like my dd. She's been consistently 75th percentile for height, zoomed up to 95th percentile for head, and used to be 10th percentile for weight--but dropped to 5th at her 9 mo checkup. DH calls her "an orange on a toothpick."

Don't let it get to you. As long as your lo is happy and healthy and growing in other ways, the weight shouldn't be a big deal. Seems to be genetic in our case. She must have a high metabolism. So just smile and nod to the doctor--and then do what you feel is right.

Avocado seems to fatten my dd up. And quinoa pasta works well--it's a complete protein.

Good luck!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

My son was 29 inches and 16 lbs 14 oz @ his 9 month check up. He is SO active and he really does follow DH and my body types. It sounds like your LO is meeting all of his milestones.

Lyn

Wanted to add that calorie-wise, BM increase would be a good idea. When my son went on a food-strike with an illness, I upped his calories by adding BM to everything. I would express it into his oatmeal, his avocado, and give him a cup of it to drink with his meals.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thank you all for your info and support!