Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There always seems to be something wrong

Default There always seems to be something wrong

I just posted a couple of days ago-my son is/was going through a growth spurt and eating and whole bunch. Now I believe it has passed, but for the past day and a half he has been incredibly fussy when I feed him-spending at least half of his feeidng time crying. I have NO idea why-it's not because he needs to be burped or needs to switch sides. Since the growth spurt I have even more milk that he doesn't seem to be needing at the moment. I am just at wits end. I feel like the breastfeeding thing will never get to be good-we've been at it for over 6 weeks and I feel like we have improved only little. I don't know what to do and am getting frustrated. The lack of consistency in my son's ability to breastfeed just kills me. I hate having him cry when I am trying to feed him. I just feel like a complete failure!

Default Re: There always seems to be something wrong

I can totally understand where you are coming from. Every time I feel like we are taking steps forward, we take one back. My LO is 4 weeks old, and things are improving but not to my liking.

As for your LO crying...could there be something else that could be bothering him? Do you think he could be feeding off of your apprehension and frustration? Is he too hot, or cold. Intestional gas? Have you eaten anything different that he could be reacting to?

not an expert here, just throwing out ideas. Hang in there!

I find that when my lo is fussy while bfing she is usually just tired. How are his sleeping habits? So many times she cries while I am trying to get her to eat, so Ill pick her up walk around with her over my shoulder and she falls right asleep. Later when she wakes up shes usually hungry and eats better.

He doesn't sleep much at all during the day-a few 20 minute naps here and there so maybe he really is tired-I will try that one! Thanks.

At 6.5 weeks my baby has on and off sleeping days. On a good day shes takes a hour and half nap every 3-4 hours till about 10 pm when I bathe her and feed her again. She sleeps then for 3 hours a time (on her tummy!) till about 7 am, nursing 3 times during the night. I would think your lo is overtired...Do you have a swing? Many times I hold my baby over my shoulder ina quiet dark room for a good 20 mins until she goes to sleep. Does that ever work for you?

My son is so hard to make fall asleep and stay asleep. We have tried swings, vibrating chairs, it feels like everything. He often falls asleep on us, and when we put him in his cradle, he will wake up within 20/30 minutes, usually faster. We've tried putting him down at different times during his sleep, REM, when he's limbs fall when we pick them up, etc. and everytime he wakes up shortly. He sleeps well at night, so I've just been putting up with him during the day and the lack of naps, but I am sure he is tired and needs them. The past couple of days I found that putting him on my bed, he will stay asleep for a couple of hours. Not the best place but if he's staying asleep during the day, it saves my sanity!

This is why I love getting on here, I am reminded that I am not alone. I have had my son do the exact same thing. He is at the breast just crying away, and trying my patience. I have just recently figured out that it is because he is just overly tired. He is going on 7 weeks old. I have found that during the day if he gets his naps he is 100 times better at night. I try everything during the day to get him to sleep, and stay asleep. If nothing works, or I really need to get stuff done around the house I put him in the Snuggli. It works like a charm every single time. He loves to be worn! I just orded a sling because it is such a great thing wearing him. I can always count on him falling asleep when I wear him. Give it a try you might be suprised! Good luck!

you may also have a little bit of an overactive let down from producing so much milk during the growth spurt. Try leaning back a little when feeding ot see if that will help. Just a thought.

Must be a pattern with 7 week olds!! My daughter is doing the same thing!! As stated in pp she does do better when she has had a nap ( even if it is just for 30 minutes).I have been lucky with her though...she does sleep for 6-7 hours at night!
    Hang in there. She loves her swing as well as just laying down with me.
    These things too will pass!!

Thanks so much for your support! He seems to be doing better (although he gets so lazy when he's done eating and changes his latch so that it KILLS!). I totally think I have OALD too-I have SO much milk and it just overwhelms him!

I find he is easier when he naps during the day and we are finally getting him figured out a little more, although the other day he napped a bunch during the day and it seems that the night time initial getting himto sleep was much more difficult! Oh babies-so unpredictable.

And I LOVE wearing my son! We have a moby wrap and he just loves being in it!

Thanks again for your help!