Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Self-regulating?

Default Self-regulating?

Do babies self-regulate with solids like they do with bm?

DD will eat a lot more sweet potatoes and apples than she used to, but that's probably just b/c she's getting bigger, right?

I'm afraid that she'll find something she really likes and keep eating b/c it tastes so good. I really don't want to overfeed her.

TIA

Default Re: Self-regulating?

I don't think you have to worry about it. I think that kids overeating is a trained response that has to do with our pleasure at seeing a child "Clean their plate." are making a conscious effort to not put any pressure on your child in regards to food and your child has been EBF, there is no reason to think your child will begin to "over do it". In fact, if you are before the year point, it's very likely that your child still doesn't even associate solid food with hunger as much as fun. taste and exploration. Alway off the breast first, and try to have fun!

Way too lazy for formula

By breastfeeding, you have already taught your baby how to self-regulate. She's known from the beginning that when she gets full, she can stop eating. Formula-fed babies often don't learn this- they get full, they stop sucking, and yet the formula keeps on dripping into their mouths.

In short, just trust your LO to know when she's done! She'll eat more as she grows, and she'll probably favor the tastiest stuff, just like the rest of us. What you can do now to encourage healthy eating habits is to feed her a real diversity of foods, so she doesn't decide that she only eats sweet things like apples and sweet potatoes.

Yeah, we just figure if we try, try again with the green veggies and the mixed veggis she'll eventually eat them willingly. She also will pick up and eat tiny carrot slices (cooked) or peas. She spits them out as often as she swallows them, though.

Thanks for your help!