Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems with night feeding...

Default Problems with night feeding...

My 3 wk old is gaining weight nicely and is exclusively BF'd. She wakes every 3 hrs in the night to eat but she is such a lazy nurser at night. Some nights are okay but then there are nights like last night....where I am not getting NEAR enough sleep. I put her to the breast when she wakes and she nurses for a minute and falls asleep. I try to wake her a bit but after no success, I put her back in her bassinet. She squirms & fusses and I repeat the process over & over again. It can go on for some time and sometimes she just seems to be awake forever in her bassinet, so then I cannot sleep but it never fails....I put her to the breast and she gets so relaxed there that she is asleep right away...and then awake when I lay her back down.

So, my husband keeps saying "Why don't you give her a bottle in the night". I am NOT giving her a bottle of formula. I am way to paranoid that my supply will drop if I do that. I have a manual Avent pump and I get barely anything with that. When I had my first daughter, I could pump an 8 ounce bottle in no time with my avent pump. I know my lo is getting enough...milk is spewing out when I open my bra, it's on her chin, sometimes my let-down is too fast and she chokes....but I just cannot pump a bottle with my Avent this time.

My friend has a Pump In Style and new horns and tubes to lend me. I figure the suction on this pump may be better/more effective. Might take a few days to get it going but I am going to try using this in the night to pump a bottle. What are your opinions on this? Bad idea? Try it and see?

Default Re: Problems with night feeding...

I think all I'd be worried about with giving a bottle for bed time would be nipple confusion. Granted DD2 got her first bottle of EBM at 2 weeks old without too many problems - aside from having to correct her latch a few times at her next feeding.

I wish we would have gotten the playtex drop ins bottles (with latex nipple) sooner, she's able to transition between me and it a lot easier then she does the soothies bottles that came with the pump I have.

Are you 100% against co-sleeping with LO in bed with you? If not I'd say give that a try. I tried not doing it with my LO but I wasn't getting any sleep at all with the same issues you're having. co-sleeping has made it so both her and I sleep much better and much more during the night.

She spent all that time inside of you, it's only natural that she wants to spend it with you now too that she's outside in this big world. Even a bassinet seems too big for them, since you're not there with her.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

My daughter has started doing this as well... She'll sleep great from midnight until about two, then from 2 to 6, she's up and down. She'll nurse, fall asleep in 3-5 minutes, I'll hold her for a while to make sure she's not just napping, put her down in the bassinet, then we start all over. I'm exhausted. She's not really a "comfort" nurser. She latches on, and when she's done, she's done. BUT - for those 4 hours at night, and occasionally for a few hours in the afternoon, even when she's done, she's not. I've tried a paci, a bottle of EBM, co-sleeping, you name it.

I really don't know what to tell you... I'm frustrated as well... hang in there

momofthreegirls: Sounds like we are going through the same thing. If I try something that works well, I'll let you know.

I try telling my dh that it's normal newborn behaviour. She gets lonely in her bassinet and wants to be close. My older daughter was the same as a newborn but turned out to be a great, independent sleeper in the end. So, I am trying to remind myself that what is going on now will not last forever. I was just thinking that a bottle in the middle of the night would fill her up faster and with less effort and maybe if she is satisfied quickly, she will get back to sleep faster She has had a few bottles in the hospital and in the early days of being home. She also takes a pacifier a lot and so far she has a terrific latch with breastfeeding. I am leery of adding a bottle as a regular part of her routine but at the same time, I am just not getting any sleep...night after night. I don't want to co-sleep. A 1/2 hr here or there is alright but otherwise it's not something that is for us. We have a very high bed and it's also very soft. My dh is very worried about having her in our bed and I am so paranoid about SIDS that I think I'd get a lousy sleep even with her in the bed.

I will try pumping a bottle tonight in the middle of the night...then feeding that to her. I will see if the time is cut down and maybe if I rock her a bit after the bottle she will go back easier...instead of up & down and "topping her up" 10 times. It's so hard to know what the 'right' thing to do is.

It is hard to know what to do...
    Your baby is very young yet. She's still trying to build your milk supply.
    ARe you taking a nap during the day?
    That helped me out. As long as baby is getting up I have to have a nap.
    3 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt..
    its going to get beter I promise!

Quote Originally Posted by momto2girls View Post
    I put her to the breast when she wakes and she nurses for a minute and falls asleep. I try to wake her a bit but after no success, I put her back in her bassinet. She squirms & fusses and I repeat the process over & over again. It can go on for some time and sometimes she just seems to be awake forever in her bassinet, so then I cannot sleep but it never fails....I put her to the breast and she gets so relaxed there that she is asleep right away...and then awake when I lay her back down.
    sounds to me like your baby misses you. this is the very same reason we began cosleeping. she may just want to comfort nurse, but if she were in the bed with you this might not be happening. just a suggestion

3 weeks is a little young for a bottle IMO. Nipple confusion is a real problem and once it begins.....you can read endless posts here about mothers kicking themselves for introducing the bottle too soon. We are only talking about waiting for another week or two. I'd wait. Better safe than sorry. Especially if you don't want to supplement. I agree that it's totally normal for her to just want to be close to you at this young age. If you really aren't getting enough sleep you might just try letting her stay in bed with your for now. Co-sleeping has saved a ton of us from getting up to many times in the middle of the night. Good luck.

ETA and when I say "For Now" I mean through what is more than probably a 3week growth spurt.
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; September 10th, 2007 at 05:54 PM.

Way too lazy for formula

We too have the same issue. My LO is 7 weeks today and we just I introduced a bottle of breast milk the other day. The reason I waited is b/c with my first LO we gave her a bottle of bm when she was about 7 days old so I could finish my comps for grad school and she had major nipple confusion. It was horrible. So this time around LO will sleep from about 11pm-3am then until morning it is the same battle, almost like being at the breast is intoxicating to her. Since I was getting NO sleep from 3am until daylight I just gave up and started putting her in the bed with me. I am a really light sleeper. I put a pillow between me and dh and then nurse her on whatever side she needs. I don't sleep as well with her in the bed but at least I can close my eyes. I understand being concerned with her in the bed I am too but it works for us. Good luck, it gets better. The first night your LO sleeps all night you will be up to make sure she is okay, it never ends!!