Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS w/o a high chair? And swallowing question.

Default BLS w/o a high chair? And swallowing question.

Hi all,

Just what I need... another forum to post on! lol. (Some of you may know me from other forums since my username is the same elsewhere.)

Anyway. DD is 9 months old, and we're pretty sporadic w/ her (spoon-fed) solids. Even those, though, we waited until she was over 8 months. Mostly b/c I am lazy and BFing is so easy. We do not have a high chair. When I do solids, I sit her in her Bumbo to feed her. We do not have the tray that attaches to it, but I wouldn't want to use that as a high chair anyway since she can escape it. I saw somewhere a shower curtain mentioned... but don't know if that's feasible for us either. It would be easy enough to spread it on the floor but it's the cleanup I'm worried about. I'm sure that all the food won't stay on the curtain, and I don't fancy digging it out of the couch and carpet and windows (at least not yet anyway. :P). Then there's the curtain itself. We live in an apartment so I can't just drag it out in the yard and hose it off, and it seems so unweildy to put into the sink. I wouldn't want to do the tub or washing machine since the larger bits of food won't go down the drain. And we really can't go buy even a cheap high chair right now, at all. Car repairs and inspections/registrations/new driver's licenses/etc from our recent out of state move have eaten up all spare money.

Anyway on to my swallowing question. DD has no trouble swallowing the baby food I feed her. I also feed her the occasional puff (treating them more like candy than a snack in their frequency), which she also has no trouble swallowing once it dissolves. But then every so often she'll be moving around, and I'll glance at her and see that she's "chewing". She doesn't chew unless there's something in her mouth, so I'll check and it'll be some fuzz, a tiny piece of styrofoam, a bug.. (Ok so the bug didn't make it to her mouth, but it almost did. lol). If I just let her be, she seems like she'd just chew and chew and chew these non-food items like a stick of gum. It's like since they don't dissolve or turn to liquid or anything, she just keeps them in her mouth to play with. If I start giving her soft solids to explore, I'm just nervous at this point that she'll just play with them, even if they get into her mouth, b/c they also won't instantly dissolve like the puff or aren't already semi-liquid like the baby food.

Thoughts? Did anyone even make it this far in my post? lol
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food

Default Re: BLS w/o a high chair? And swallowing question.

we did BLS to an extent, and never used a highchair after the first couple weeks. After Eden became mobile, she would NOT sit in the chair for more than a couple minutes. Mainly, we do tiny finger foods, and i just follow her around and *try* to make her sit still while she eats until I know she can handle the food really well. This worked for us for months. We're now trying to use the chair more b/c Eden is insistant on feeding herself with a spoon, and i just can't let her run around with a spoonfull of lentil soup! Moms didn't have high chairs for centuires, it can work. Also, if you really think you need one, check out craigs list for freecycle, people give stuff like that away all the time! HTH!

Honestly, when we were renovating our kitchen I tried to have D in the bumbo in the living room. It just doesn't work. Baby needs to have a more comfortable seat with a tray or table so that baby can explore and experience the food. Picking it up, putting it down, mashing it, pinching it, throwing it In our experience this has been all part of BLS. I would check out freecycle or Craigslist.

As far as clean-up? BLS is MESSY. A lot of food does not end up in baby's mouth. D goes in phases. Sometimes everything gets eaten, sometimes everything ends up on the floor.

My son puts everything in his mouth, but with food I think the flavour and texture tell him its food. KwIM? They are so smart.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I agree with Lyn. The post about a shower curtain on the floor is as WELL AS a highchair. Saying that BEYOND having a highchair, you may want to spread out a shower curtain because learning to eat is THAT messy. Invest in a chair. It's not something you are going to use for a minute. It's something you will use for YEARS. After they grasp picking up and eating solid food, there is a whole period where they THROW EVERYTHING off their plate and still another trying time is when they begin to use silverware.

We have done Child led solids completely. Solid that he could bring top his own mouth only. We began at 6months and while he has been eating 3 square a day plus snack sine the year point, and using silverware to eat his food since 14months, now at 20 months there is still a ring of food around the highchair every night and food that needs to be shaken out of the highchair cushion every day. Invest in a chair. I got mine off craig's list for $20. Best $20 I have spent. Followed by the $8 I spent in his portable fold up one. I have always felt like the most considerate thing I could do for friends and family that were nice enough (BRAVE) to invite us over to eat with a child who learning was give him an enclosed area where he could eat with out getting food all over THEIR table and floor.
    I didn't have one at the 6month point either. For a few week we put him in his walker to feed him. But if you are ready to get serious about eating, it's time.
    Good luck.

Way too lazy for formula

I guess I'll try Craigslist... in 4 weeks or so. I was serious about not having any spare moolah for a while, not even a little bit for a secondhand chair. I just hope that this time I actually get some responses back from Craigslist. Last time I was seriously interested in something on there, I e-mailed the person like 4 times and never got a reply back, not even to say that they no longer had the item. (Oh but a funny high chair story... I went to visit my mom a month or so ago, and mom wanted to feed her a little baby food. So she put DD in the high chair... and the tray nearly came up to DD's neck b/c she's so petite. lol)

Anyway thanks for the feedback.

<-- lol that's a funny smiley.
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
    I guess I'll try Craigslist... in 4 weeks or so. I was serious about not having any spare moolah for a while, not even a little bit for a secondhand chair. I just hope that this time I actually get some responses back from Craigslist. Last time I was seriously interested in something on there, I e-mailed the person like 4 times and never got a reply back, not even to say that they no longer had the item. (Oh but a funny high chair story... I went to visit my mom a month or so ago, and mom wanted to feed her a little baby food. So she put DD in the high chair... and the tray nearly came up to DD's neck b/c she's so petite. lol)

Anyway thanks for the feedback.

<-- lol that's a funny smiley.
    Yeah you have to be patient and diligent on Craig's list. I new what I wanted and what my outer limit on spending was...It needed to be blond wood to match our dinning room furniture and I didn't want to spend more than $40. It took a couple weeks....but I am very very happy with what I got for HALF the money! E-mail MORE than one person...and when you are searching check everyday. Good luck.

Way too lazy for formula

we use a feeding chair like this one http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5192166