Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: over supply after growth spurt

Default over supply after growth spurt

seems like my lo left me with an oversupply again. After her growth spurts I feel engorged for days. If I dont feed her every two hours like we were two days ago my breasts feel like they did in the beginning. I pumped one boob yesterday while we were out because I was afraid of a clogged duct it was so I hard. I got 5 ounces with a manual pump in five minutes....geeeez. I know it was counterproductive to pump that much but we were out and i figured I would just save it and ahhh the relief. So heres my question. SHOULD I BLOCK PUMP AGAIN? The only problem I have with that is by the time I get to boob B. It is massive and the lo wont latch to a full boob, she doesnt like the force Im assuming. Also picture this if you will( or dont lol) feeding my little bugger lying down with the other breast facing upward and mmmm what was that ohhhhhh my left breast looks like a volcano exploding with four beautiful sprays straight up into the air landing eventually on me and the lo face. How lovely. Any advice on battling an oal/ too much milk would be great.
    thank
    kate
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Default Re: over supply after growth spurt

also she never nurses for comfort, I have to give her her sassy when shes done eating the flow I think frustrates her. I know its a while off but do you think its possible she would wean early since she does not enjoy this time, she never really nurses to sleep, I cuddle her to sleep >? just a wondering!

love the volcano analogy how long does it usually take for your supply to regulate?

Honestly Im not really sure! , I think three or four days if I remember right. Her last growth spurt was trying because we were weaning of the bottle. Im sure it will get better in a few days but man all the milk in here is a killer. But now that I think about it I always seem to have a lot of milk, maybe in a few months when we start solids it will get better (fingers crossed)

just pump to relieve pressure if you must...those boobs can be tricky I bet in a couple of days you will be normal again...whatever that is, right?

I'm SO glad to know that someone else goes through this too! It seems like my body takes forever to get the milk production up for a growth spurt, but then when the spurt is over I'm a makin' extra milk for days afterwards and feeling so engorged.

I found that the less I pump the sooner my body goes back to normal. Pumps can be evil.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I also am glad I found this post-my son just went through a growth spurt over the weekend and I seem to have all this milk, and he doesn't seem to want it anymore (worse is he just keeps crying now when he's trying to eat, part of which I wouldn't doubt is due to being engorged!).

Hope things are getting better!