Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting "O"'s

Default Starting "O"'s

At my son's 6-month checkup, his Dr. said it was okay to start him on Cheerio's. I started mashed stuff at 6 months (cereal, avocado, now bananas), and he does okay with them, but I'm nervous about him choking on the Cheerio's (I bought an organic kind).

Any thoughts? Are they dangerous? They do dissolve after a little bit, but they just make me nervous. I'd like to give him practice picking stuff up and feeding himself, though.

Thanks!

Default Re: Starting "O"'s

If you're uncomfortable with the Cheerio's and how quickly they do/don't dissolve, there are the Gerber Puffs (Fruit and Veggie flavored). I'm not sure exactly how nutritious these are, but I know they dissolve really easily. It would give him practice with chewing/feeding himself.

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I don't know if they are different in the US, but here Cheerios are packed with sugar. I wouldn't give them to mine.

Cheerios aren't a necessary staple, and you can get the same effects with foods like whole peas and cut up chunks of bananas. If he can pick them up and get them to his mouth, he's ready.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

The aren't packed with sugar. Especially not the organic kind. There is some sugar in them, but it's about two grams a cup. So not much in the handful you give a child that keeps them busy in their highchair for more than a 1/2 hours!
    I love Cheerios because the were Dry, so no mess and they helped them practice dexterity as well as eating and swallowing solids. Plus just picking them up keeps them busy for a half hour. Cheerios are better than A swing!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    The aren't packed with sugar. Especially not the organic kind. There is some sugar in them, but it's about two grams a cup. So not much in the handful you give a child that keeps them busy in their highchair for more than a 1/2 hours!
    I love Cheerios because the were Dry, so no mess and they helped them practice dexterity as well as eating and swallowing solids. Plus just picking them up keeps them busy for a half hour. Cheerios are better than A swing!
    Another option would be rice puffs or millet puffs. They are dry, and dissolve faster than O's. We get ours from the health food store.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I love Cheerios, we snack on them all the time. Very low sugar, simple ingredients, like oats. It keeps him busy and happy and if he's fussy while we're out, we just let him snack on some and he's happy. The organic types I've seen have more sugar, although still hardly any. And they taste different, harder. My son still enjoyed them but I much prefer regular cheerios. We tried them around 7 months and we still snack on them all the time. He's almost 10 months.
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion

Nutrition labels do not differentiate between natural and artificial sugars in the grams, so overall nutrition should play a roll in what you chose at the grocery store not sugar. Also, beware of health food stores. Not everything they sell is "healthy", and def. don't ask the employees anything other then where is this or how much is that bc they aren't trained to know.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I second the Gerber puffs idea. We used those for a little while with DS. He loved them, and they dissolved way fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sMum View Post
    I don't know if they are different in the US, but here Cheerios are packed with sugar. I wouldn't give them to mine.
    What cheerios are you looking at in Canada? I buy them here and the plain cheerios are only 1 gram of sugar for 30 gram serving (1 cup) I don't think thats packed with sugar??? its the same as the ones sold in the US

As for the gerber puffs I think they are great, the desolve really easy and come in flavours like sweetpotato, apple cinimon, strawberry and apple, banana, and peach and a couple others.

My little one really developed her pincher grasp with these. And I don't think she had any teeth when she started. Or maybe two but she sort of gums them.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.