Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding need help

Question breastfeeding need help

baby is 8 days old and i did not breastfeed at all but know i am wanting to.
    can i start this long after.

Default Re: breastfeeding need help

Hi Patti,
    Congratulations on your baby!
    It's certainly not too late to try. Maybe look here at this link for starters. As it says, it will take patience and persistence.
    My Newborn has never really gotten the hang of nursing. How can I get him back to the breast?

Do you have someone local you could call for help? An IBCLC or LLL Leader or both?
    Here's how to find LLL in the US.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html
    And how to find an IBCLC.
    http://gotwww.net/ilca/

Good luck and keep us posted!

Mary

Smile Re: breastfeeding need help

It is definitely not too late!! Call the hospital you delivered at and ask if they have a lactation program. You might be able to rent a hospital-grade pump and use it to bring in your milk... If you cannot rent from the hospital you might also be able to rent from a local LLL group or even your local W.I.C. ( Women Infants Children ) program! But a pump will be nearly necessary to get your milk to start flowing. While you are looking for a pump, start working with your newborn and getting him/her to latch and suckle. You can also get some fenugreek supplements and/or tea. Fenugreek is an herb known for stimulating milk production. Good luck!!!

Karen

Default Re: breastfeeding need help

Hi Patti!

It's absolutely possible to be able to nurse your baby at the breast again. Not too late at all and the sooner, the better! Mary gave you some great info. I'm going to go ahead and move this thread to the relactation board so you can get some more specific info and some been-there-done-that help
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!