Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby not getting enough HELP

Default baby not getting enough HELP

I am so frustrated! My daughter is 8 weeks old. We have been doing fine with bf until the last few days. She will bf every 2-3 hours and again , like many days this week, she will feed and an hour later be starving to the point of screaming. Tonight she took 5 oz of EBM AFTER bf for 30 minutes. I know she got milk from me as I saw it on her lips and chin.

She already went through a growth spurt ( gained 2 pounds)

I am so frustrated and upset!! I DO NOT want to supplement with formula ( I do not even like giving her EBM but I have returned to work and daddy needs to feed her when I am gone). I am pumping every 2 hours if she sleeps through a feeding. I am drinking my water like I should and taking fenugreek. I am trying not to stress but... this is very upsetting to me. I feel klike I am failing at bf and now I need to work tomorrow and I am short on EBM for daddy!

Any insight or help would be appeciated! I am new to this bf thing and feel like I dont know anything!!!
    Last edited by mom of teen and baby!; September 9th, 2007 at 07:39 PM.

Default Re: baby not getting enough HELP

I would suggest that rather than giving her the EBM when you are with her, nurse her again and save the EBM for hubby to use when you are at work. You have to keep in mind that baby will be able to get more milk from you than a pump will ever, so if you give her the EBM instead of nursing her, you are actually probably hurting your supply. She is probably having a growth spurt, and the frequent nursing will cause your body to respond by making more milk. it is nature's way of supply and demand.

J

Maybe this is a stupid question but if I just fed her am I not "out" of bm to nurse her again? Thank you for replying

I wondered that, too.

A LLL leader and an IBCLC told me that as long as I am still lactating I will never put dd to the breast without her being able to get some milk. It might take a minute to get a letdown and speed up the flow of milk, but the milk is always there. Per the lc, it is impossible to run out.

Milk flow (I'm told) can slow down at night, after you've nursed all day, but, again, it's still there.

HTH!

Abby

pp is right. there is always milk, it is a continuous supply. The frequent nursing is nature's way of telling your body that it is time to up the anty and start making more milk. You will be able to keep up with her Definately do not do formula - that is counteractive.

Ladies thank you. Your comments were very helpful! We had a better night last night. I tried lying down position when feeding and that seemed to help with both of us being more relaxed and she fed much better

most babies will take a bottle after a feed even if they do not need it..
    they have a suck swallow reflux that keeps them at the bottle untill its gone.

some babies are just high needs babies and they need to be at the breast alot!

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

When did she have her last growth spurt? It could be another one as they happen quite regularly early on.

Is it all day long? Or just in the evenings? A lot of babies cluster feed frequently in the evening.

She sounds like she is gaining weight well and as long as she's also wetting and pooping a lot, she IS getting enough.