Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing with a feeding tube

Default Nursing with a feeding tube

I get to try to nurse my baby tomorrow, but i'm so nervous. He has a feeding tube and of course they are not going to remove it until he is a champ at nursing. However, how can i get a good latch with a tube coming out of his mouth. Wish me luck...

Default Re: Nursing with a feeding tube

When it was finally time for me to nurse my DD they moved the tube to her nose. This step is considered a big thing in our NICU. They should move it for you without any difficulty. Please let me know of you have any questions. Good luck!

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

I asked them if they could move it and they said no. The NICU that we are at is not very proactive when it's comes to nursing. They love expressed bm in a bottle. I know it will come in time. I just have always nursed my babies and feel like i haven't bonded with Brayden. Does that make any sense?

I found it easy to nurse my son with the tube, but his tube was down his nose. after they pulled the tube I supplimented with my breastmilk in the SNS system only b/c he was so tired, I wanted to make sure he was taking in enough. It was a pain to use the sns and make sure that its tube was taped to my nipple correctly and that he got it into his mouth. I know its not the same thing but I wanted to share in case it helped.

i wanted to tell you it makes perfect sense that you haven't felt like you have bonded with your baby- i always felt that way when my baby was in the NICU- i almost felt like he wasn't mine because there were so many rules on when i could hold him- or couldn't hold him at all some days- and you can't nurse him... or even bottle feed. i understand.

I am sorry that you are having a difficult time with your NICU. As far as the tube I would suggest that you TELL them to move it to LO nose. The NICU is the perfect place to empower yourself as an advocate for your child. If need be ask for a patient rep from the hospital and the director of your NICU. You are the parent. I am so sorry that they are not trying to make this as positive an experience as possibe. Please hang in there. If there are any questions I can answer or advice I can provide please feel free to post here or pm me. You and your LO are in my thoughts.

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi