Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD *and* secondary lactose intolerance?

Default OALD *and* secondary lactose intolerance?

Hi all - this is my 1st post so a little history first...

DS will be 14wks on thursday & was 4wks early. He spent some time in scbu so was tube fed initially, then cup fed before he was able to latch on. In the early days we had to use a nipple shield as his mouth was little & my breasts were so engorged but we soon managed to do away with that once we were home.

After a week or so at the breast the problems started & after much reading & much chatting with a bf councellor at the hospital we started block feeding to sort out some over supply issues.

Then reflux was diagnosed & DS was eventually put on ranitidine. An increase in his dosage 10 days later eventually got him to stop screaming and settle down a little but feeding has always been a bit of a struggle - choking, gagging, pulling off etc just like I have read on here. I've also noticed the *huge* spray when he pulls off so have been soaking many a burp cloth & feeding lying down to try & make things more pleasant for us both.

However, since he has been more settled his nappies have changed - they are a bit green (not like when he had the milk imbalance), very liquid & have stringy mucousy bits in (soz for tmi!). They are also v explosive & he tends to need bathed each time he fills a nappy - which can be up to 8 times a day/night. He feeds about 2hrly during the day & may go up to 4hrs through the night.

I saw the Ped today re the reflux & he reckons DS has secondary lactose intolerance caused by the reflux but I am just wondering if its simplythe OALD causing the problems & if so how long should it take to sort?

I have been block feeding for about 5-6wks now, still leak, often still feel engorged & have been soaking up the let-down in burp cloths for about a week-10 days...

Will this resolve sooner rather than later?

All advice appreciated...

TIA
    Julie x

Default Re: OALD *and* secondary lactose intolerance?

Well, you have already been through so much already. Good for you!

You sound like you have a good handle on the oversupply issue.

What length of block feedings have you gone to? Have you increased the blocks of time at all? That may be necessary if you are not seeing a difference in 5-6 weeks.

Do you express just enough between feeds for comfort? That may be helpful for you.

What else did your ped. say?

Default Re: OALD *and* secondary lactose intolerance? long!

Many thanks for your reply...

The Ped seems happy enough that DS is gaining weight, although tbh that was never a concern to me - he feeds so often that it was unlikely he wouldnt gain. Infact I always felt that in the earlier weeks when we had the foremilk/hindmilk issues that he was gaining too quickly (11oz one week for example) but no-one seemed to link the two.

Lengthwise though DS hadnt changed since our last visit and had actually dropped two lines on the centile charts so they will keep an eye on that & start doing various tests should his weight start dropping too.

He sent off x3 stool samples for testing & will contact me should anything untoward show up, although he said that treatment wouldnt change much if it was lactose intolerance except that I should stay away from Dairy (how much Dairy is too much btw??) - he said since DS is gaining weight lactose intolerance would not be a reason for me to stop feeding him which is good news. He didnt seem to know much about OALD. With regard to the reflux we are sticking with the current dose of ranitidine but will change to something stronger (cant remember name of med) should he worsen again in that respect.

We're to go back again in 3mths but can go sooner should his stools worsen, or have blood in them, if he becomes as agitated as he was before & the new med doesnt help, or if he starts to lose weight or not progress developmentally.

Re: the block feeding I have probably gone as long as 5hrs a side on occasion - tbh I just try to go as long as possible & dont set a time limit as DS can feed so often on occasion but for v short spells so sometimes its quite apparent when one side is empty. Should I be more uniform with that?

I try to just hand express off just enough to be comfortable - I have enough milk as it is thanks to over-stimulation in the early days... I really dont want to go down that route again!

Its just been such a long haul for us to get here. I've had a very complicated gynae history & this pg was such a strain... We worked so hard to bring this little boy into the world & this is not how it was meant to be

I guess I just want someone to tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel... that DS will eventually 'enjoy' feeds more, go longer in between, be more settled, develop a vague routine.... I'm due to return to work mid August & I should be enjoying my time with him more but all I think about is how I will cope when I have absolutely *no* idea what to tell his grannies to expect of him routine wise, nor how much milk to leave them...

With me, when he's unsettled, I take the attitude 'if in doubt feed him' but it wont be so simple for them

Please tell me I'm over the worst.

TIA
    Julie x

Default Re: OALD *and* secondary lactose intolerance?

Julie,

This link may help explain it (secondary) lactose intolerance (not a LLL source): Is my baby lactose intolerant?