Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids, attention span related to decreased bf?

Default Solids, attention span related to decreased bf?

I honestly thought that I would not have to worry again that my LO is getting enough nutrition one he started solids, but now it seems it is all about the right mix, where BM is still most important!

My LO is 8 mo. He eats solids 3x a day (I have been doing homemadefood, following suggestions of Superbaby Food and Blender Babyfood for amounts/types at this age). Two days a week he gets pumped milk while I work. However, on the days I bf and the days that he gets pumped bf, he has noticiably decreased the amount of nursing.

I worry that his food is replacing the BM, but if I take out a meal or reduce the amounts of food we give him, he is really hungry...Also, he is SOOO busy and excited about the world, it seems like he forgets to nurse, so I offer all the time!

This seems to turn in to something where he has a "snack" -- just a few sips and then he is off.

How much BM should he be getting? I have troubles going by number of times to nurse, because he has always been a more frequent, shorter nurser (max of 10 minutes) even from infancy.

I wonder the amount of BM he should be getting throughout the day...at this point, he still nurses 2x at night and I don't mind b/c this way at least I know he is getting more milk.

Thanks for any insight!

Default Re: Solids, attention span related to decreased bf?

How many diapers are you changing? I noticed that, when the world got more exciting, my lo could take in a whole lotta milk in a short amount of time. Those sips add up after a while. Kind of like if you put out a glass of water and take a sip every time you walk by....eventually it's empty. Increasing the night time nursing is one way to make sure the baby is getting enough. Nursing in a dark quiet room might also make less distracting.

Default Re: Solids, attention span related to decreased bf?

Thanks for getting back. I pretty much change him everytime he wakes up. I have been noticing a decrease in the amount of wetness in the actual diapers, but I kind of chocked that up to it being SOOOO hot here (in the low 90s regularly / very old house with no AC...I also watch that he is not dehydrated).

I like your thinking about the sips of h20. It is a good way to recognize that all those snacks add up to something.

Are there any LLL guideslines for how many oz an 8mo old should drink? It seems to range for what I read -- 32 oz to 18 oz. Big difference!