Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gag, Chomp, Turn, Chomp, Turn, Chomp, Gag

Default Re: Gag, Chomp, Turn, Chomp, Turn, Chomp, Gag

The fact that she's adjusting to breast after having bottles may also be part of the issue- she could be used to the slow, regular flow of a bottle, and not yet know how to deal with the more irregular flow of milk straight from the tap. But hang in there- she will figure it out![/QUOTE]

That was kind of what I chalked the gagging up to. I hadn't thought that the chomping was related to the same problem.... I guess we'll have to just keep trying

My LO seems to choke and gag alot less in the side lying position. He can pull himself off if it gets too much for him, and the excess just makes a mess of the bed between us. As far as getting latched on this way, it is a bit trickier (but makes sleep easier) but I found it much more relaxing. I never really got the use of all the pillows and just hold him in place for daytime feedings. But the idea of her chomping because she is getting too much makes sense to me. i cant think of any tips for side lying other than keep trying and dont feel like there is a magic specific position for it, we are always adjusting as we need.

Yeah, I have to admit that when she eats for a long time without a break, I find the other positions difficult, because either I use a bunch of pillows, but then can't shift at all and end up with muscles cramping up, or else I don't use any pillows, and my muscles ache from holding her weight for so long... We're using nipple shields sometimes, though, so I'll try her side-lying the next time we use shields, since that'll make it easier to try without worrying so much about how she's latching. Hopefully it'll make for less chomping, too...

We are using a nipple shield always, trying to wean, so I must admit with that latching on is much simpler... so much more for them to grab onto The side lying really saved my nights! Though we do make a bit of a mess