Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gag, Chomp, Turn, Chomp, Turn, Chomp, Gag

Default Gag, Chomp, Turn, Chomp, Turn, Chomp, Gag

Hello everyone... Just going back to BF after three or four weeks of exclusive pumping... LO is five weeks old, and BF was never really established in the first place... She seems to be having problems with my let-down, gagging at first whenever she gets milk. That's not the main issue, though.... You can say that babies don't bite when breastfeeding, but my little girl makes a liar out of you - she is most definitely biting. And not just when she's done. She keeps doing it... Actually, she chomps down hard on my nipple, and the tries to hold it and spin her head to the side, yanking me in a direction I just don't stretch... Ouch! Why does she keep doing this? She does it every couple minutes as long as she's nursing.... She just chomps and holds it and pulls as hard as she can to the side. I've tried different positions and holds, but it doesn't seem to make a difference to her. How can I make her stop hurting me?

Exclamation Re: Gag, Chomp, Turn, Chomp, Turn, Chomp, Gag

Ok- I can't really give you any advice, but I just have to chime in for all of us and get it out of the way for you - OW!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Gag, Chomp, Turn, Chomp, Turn, Chomp, Gag

What you describe sounds like overactive letdown (OALD). The milk comes out very forcefully, causing the baby to choke or gag, and to control the flow, she chomps down on your nipple. It's kind of like crimping a straw when you're drinking out of a cup.

Check out http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html for tips on managing OALD.

Is it possible to have OALD when BFing but not when pumping? I'd heard of OALD before, but when I pump my milk doesn't come as fast as what I'd heard OALD moms say. But it does come much faster than her bottle. I thought she'd just have to get used to the variations in flow. But it han't occurred to me that the gagging and chomping were connected. I'll check out the link, thanks.

Can you try side lying nursing? That sometimes helps.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I haven't tried side-lying yet "This go" - I tried it once in the first couple weeks and couldn't get her latched right. I've been trying cradle and cross cradle and football and adjusting all the angles in those positions. I'll try sidelying next feeding...

Have u tried the biological natural, which is u lying on your back with lots of pillows around u and then baby lay flat on your tummy and nurses it helps WITH forceful letdown. I think there's a link to all that stuff in the Getting Started board, somewhere. If u can't find it there let me know and I have it some place else that I will go looking for.

it does sound like it would help, but I have very large breasts and haven't been able to figure out how to latch her on that way.... Putting a pillow between us would make her the right height, but I'm scared I won't have a very good grip on her and if she wiggles she might slide off me... Even if the bed's a soft spot to land, it still worries me a little...

I agree and with her being so little still...u could always try it in the morning when she might fall back to sleep and that way she's laying on your chest...

here's the links the second one has pictures so u can see how it's being done.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6612573.stm

http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/p...ite-locked.pdf pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Checkhovian View Post
    Is it possible to have OALD when BFing but not when pumping?
    It seems quite possible to me. The pump is usually much less efficient at getting milk out than a baby's suckle. Your daughter may be stimulating you to let down much more forcefully.

The fact that she's adjusting to breast after having bottles may also be part of the issue- she could be used to the slow, regular flow of a bottle, and not yet know how to deal with the more irregular flow of milk straight from the tap. But hang in there- she will figure it out!