Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby feeding and breast milk drying up

Default Baby feeding and breast milk drying up

It seems that lately my breasts can't produce enough milk for my lo (11 weeks). I feed him and he seems very very hungry after eating. I started back to work 2 days a week and I can only pump 1.5 oz off my left breast (used to be able to pump at least 2.5) but I can get up to 4 oz off my right. He's only 2.5 or 3 oz at each feeding at day care, then at night he wants to eat every hour and can't seem to get enough. Could my milk be drying up even though I'm still breast feeding? Could my birth control pills (minipill) have anything to do with it? If you have any insight I would really like the help. I don't want to stop breast feeding yet.

Default Re: Baby feeding and breast milk drying up

This was a great resource for me... I recently have had problem with pumping. I don't believe your milk is drying up. A baby is more effiecent than any pump. But pumping can casue a slight decrease in supply...This link has so helpful info also

HTH
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by annabell View Post
    Could my birth control pills (minipill) have anything to do with it? If you have any insight I would really like the help. I don't want to stop breast feeding yet.
    The mini pill shouldn't have any adverse effect on your supply. According to my OB, it may even increase production.

As for feeling like you are drying up, your supply is probably just leveling off/getting under control. My LO does the same where she "tanks up" at night before bed (she eats every 1.5hrs in the evening but every 3 hrs during the day). Could be that your LO is going through a spurt and in that case, keep nursing & your supply should increase to match your LO's needs.

Just a thought...don't babies go through a growth spurt around 3 mths? That would explain the constant feeding - it can get painful because they keep sucking when there's no milk left to increase production. If you think this is what's happening, try and stick it out - it usually takes just a few days for supply to match up to demand. Sorry if you already knew this...I didn't when my baby went through his first growth spurt and I was very relieved when I finally consulted the hosp's LC!
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009