Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: growth spurt-HELP!

Default growth spurt-HELP!

I believe my 6 week old son is going through a growth spurt-for the past day and a half he hasn't gone more than 2.5 hours without eating, mostly going 1/1.5 hours between each feeding (the 2.5 last night-THANK GOODNESS!). I think this is a sign of his going through a growth spurt. However, he seems to be spitting up a lot after the feedings since he's been eating so frequently. He doesn't typically spit up and when he does, it is VERY infrequent-not even daily. Any ideas what is going on???

Cool Re: growth spurt-HELP!

I think one of the hardest things to overcome when you are breastfeeding are those growth spurts, when they start chowing down like there's no tomorrow! So many women I know panicked when baby started a growth spurt and either started supplementing with formula or just gave up altogether in the belief that the baby had now outgrown the breast - try to stay calm and don't sweat it. Your body will adjust to your baby's needs in a day or two. Just have faith that your body knows what your baby needs, and all will be well!

As far as the spitting up, I couldn't say. I'm sure there are lots of other Mums on here with experience on that although sometimes I think our babies just tend to shake things up a little - just when you get used to something, they go ahead and change it! As long as they seem content and healthy, I would just try not to worry!

Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible

Proud Mom to:
    Cooper, born 03/04/2007
    Tanner, born 13/04/2009

Default Re: growth spurt-HELP!

Also, once you recognize the the sign of a growth spurt (because there will be another one soon) I used to make my DH take the baby and bottle and I'd take a 2hour nap after dinner before my DH went to bed. That way I'd be on for the marathon feeding sessions from Midnight to 5am!

Way too lazy for formula

Default Re: growth spurt-HELP!

Thanks for the replies ladies-this growth spurt appears to have passed...