Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: parsley and breastfeeding

Default parsley and breastfeeding

how much amount of parsley can affect the milk supply? i'm curious because i love putting parsley on my lasagna.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Default Re: parsley and breastfeeding

Hi, I`m not sure how to post links, but here is a good one about herbs and breastfeeding from Kellymom. Personally, I do not think a little bit of parsley would affect your supply.

ETA: Sorry, I could not post the link after all. You can find a whole section on herbs and breastfeeding on Kellymom.com though.
    HTH
    Last edited by Naomi1979; September 10th, 2007 at 12:43 AM.

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Here's the link that foreverhomeless mentioned: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/herbs_to_avoid.html

FYI, Kellymom is not a LLL site.

Here is a quote from the article:

Using large amounts of the following herbs and other natural remedies should be avoided while nursing because they have been known to decrease milk supply. The amounts of these herbs normally used in cooking are unlikely to be of concern; it's mainly the larger amounts that might be used therapeutically that could pose a problem. However, some moms have noticed a decrease in supply after eating things like dressing with lots of sage, sage tea (often recommended when moms are weaning), lots of strong peppermint candies or menthol cough drops, or other foods/teas with large amounts of the particular herb. These herbs are sometimes used by nursing mothers to treat oversupply, or when weaning.

Black Walnut
    Chickweed
    Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum)
    Lemon Balm
    Oregano
    Parsley (Petroselinum crispum)
    Peppermint (Mentha piperita)/Menthol
    Periwinkle Herb (Vinca minor)
    Sage (Salvia officinalis)
    Sorrel (Rumex acetosa)
    Spearmint
    Thyme
    Yarrow
    Does that help?

Tiana

thank you so much! i was just concerned. i'm already taking fevugreek and i don't want to decrease my supply.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007