Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help

Default Please help

Hi, can anyone please help? I am trying to breastfeed my daughter after a 2 week break, I came home from Hospital and put her on the bottle as I had sore nipples after conflicting views from Nurses, anyway, after speaking to a local BF counsellor, I have decided to give breastfeeding another go and have successfully managed to latch dd on without any pain! dd goes on well but prob I am having is, she is getting frustrated as I do not have enough milk for her, I am giving her bottle milk as well to supplement her as well as expressing. I know that the more she sucks from me, the more milk I will produce, but is just getting her to stay on the breast, I have just started to take Domperidone tabs to increase my milk supply too. Will not get to speak to BF counsellor or Health Visitor untio mon so would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give ne as am desperate! Thanks so much

Default Re: Please help

Well done for getting back in there! It sounds like you have a great start and sure things will pick up once your milk comes in properly. I guess others will ahve more advice for you but I'm thinking getting some skin to skin, nursing constantly and maybe a regular pumping routine will all get the juices flowing again. And dont get frustrated if it seems to be going slow, any breast milk is great!
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

Can you get a hold of an SNS??? That may really help!

Good luck and good for you for trying to get baby back to the breast!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thumbs up Re: Please help

Oh mama. Way to persevere. Got the latch ? Awesome! My first reaction to your issue is to suggest an SNS - it's a little device kind of like an IV you'd get in a hospital. It's a tube that attaches to your nipple and funnels formula from a bottle suspended nearby (by hand or a hook.) The baby nurses with the little tube in the mouth (kind of tricky) and learns that food come from nursing not a bottle while stimulating your milk supply. It was really tricky for us, but after even two days of using it it SAVED my breastfeeding relationship with my daughter. But I got mine from my Lactation Consultant and you're not going to see her until Monday. Make sure to ask her about this device. So, my backup reaction is similar to the other posts. Get lots of skin to skin contact. If you can, just lounge around in bed tomorrow nudy or close to it and let you baby suckle as frequently as she wants without causing nipple soreness. Remember to nurse before offering a supplement. Get through the next day until your appointment, get an SNS and keep on keepin' on.

Hi everyone, thanks for your advice. Things have gotten so that when i try and latch dd on, she might suck for few mins then she makes noises and gets upset and I end up giving up with the breast and supplementing her with formula milk. I am still expressing and have started Domperidone and also Fenugreek tabs today so am hoping that my milk will be "gushing" and when I latch dd on, she will get the milk she needs, will that happen or should I be doing something else? Am desperate to get her latched on and feeding from me! Please help! Will get to speak to Health Visitor and BF counsellor tomorrow but just needing some advice in the meantime. Am kind of hoping that once I have a plentiful supply, dd will stay on breast? Would appreciate some advice!
    Thanks

You could also try eating oatmeal for breakfast. Some mothers say it works wonderfully to increase supply, and there is a Mother's Milk tea you can get at some health food stores.

You're so awesome for getting back in there!! I'm really in awe of that, honestly.

Moving this to relactation
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

what you are doing is wonderful! Just remember it will be a gradual increase It's only been 2 weeks so you really have such a great chance at success it helps so much that she latches! try to nurse her for comfort as well when she is tired, let her use you as a pacifire while she sleeps or when she is tired, that will give some added breast stimulation, before she gets too hungry offer the breast if she pulls off switch breast and try again, then switch and try again, as long as she isn't too fussy, then switch to the supplements ! which like others suggested the SNS could really help! (supplemental nursing system) your LC should have one !

just keep up the good work ! in 2 weeks hopefully she will be more satisfied with you! also remember that at this young age she will be having many growth spurts so once you do reach your goal supply she might start fussing again while hiting a growth sput but it's the fussing at the breast that stimuates more production as well

you are doing great! and you can do this ! it's a lot of hard work but the end resutl is totally worth it I promise!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Congrats! Don't give up it will work, it just takes time. I relactated after a 2 week period with just a pump (PISA). My LO wasn't latching at all - she just started two weeks ago at 12 weeks old.

I pumped every two hours for about 15-20 mins. Initially it was just drops but after two weeks I was keeping up with her feedings and now (8 weeks later) I have a bit extra to freeze.

Good luck - latching seems to be the hard part, the milk will come - keep it up.

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your encoraging words. Well, we are now at stage where am tring dd on breast at every feed and sometimes she takes it, sometimes not, she is fussing at breast but is going on sometimes, not all time, but is start! She is sucking for about 5-15 mins (being the longest period!) then comes off and is fussing so I usually end up giving her either EBM from a bottle or formula. I am expressing with an Ameda pump now that I have hired. Am usually managing to get between 1-3 ounces, 3 being in the mornings! Anyway, am offering dd breast at other times as well, when sleepy, tired and she sometimes taking it, which is a step up from before! How can I get her to stay on the breast when she on it?!! Have bought an eyedropper as have read that you can drip milk down breast into her mouth but need dh to help with that! Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much.
    Last edited by lucasbex; September 17th, 2007 at 09:00 AM.