Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Raynaud's vs. Yeast - pain question

Default Raynaud's vs. Yeast - pain question

This is my 4th nursing baby. #'s 1 and 2 were great nursing experiences. With #3 I had this pain the whole time and never solved it. Did 3 rounds of Diflucan and supplements and it never went away. This baby is 4 weeks old and the pain started the day my milk came in.

This time, I'm on day #10 of Diflucan, if I let the ibuprofen wear off, the pain is the same, horrible! Even with using ibuprofen I still have pain.

I was doing a candida cleanse diet, I'm taking supplements...

Last Thursday I called a lactation consultant to find out what else I could do. She is the one that said it sounds like I have Raynaud's. I had never heard of it. Baby has no symptoms of thrush whatsoever...I have no idea about my nipples.

My question is regarding pain. I'd like to hear from those of you that have had one or the other, and find out what hte pain really feels like. I've read a ton of stuff now about Raynaud's. Dry heat does some to help but it does not make the pain go away. I started the recommended Cal Mag on Friday.

So here's what my pain is like:
    No pain while nursing. Shooting pain through the breasts after nursing. Sometimes no pain, but then when I'm nursing, the opposite side to which I'm nursing will get the shooting pain.

In fact right now, my baby is sitting here making noises in her sleep and I can feel the left side letting down and there is some pain. Then it stops.

My nipples do seem to hurt, especially when i get out of the shower and hit the cold air.

I'm just confused right now...I'm not thinking clearly anymore.

Help me!! I want to be pain free!!! UGH.....

Default Re: Raynaud's vs. Yeast - pain question

Itchy or burning nipples that appear pink or red, shiny, flaky, and/or have a rash with tiny blisters.
    Cracked nipples.
    Shooting pains in the breast during or after feedings.
    Intense nipple or breast pain that is not improved with better latch-on and positioning.
    Deep breast pain.
    This is from the website regarding thrush and would also apply to me...

This is why I'm so confused!!!

My nipples were healing from the initial soreness and then I started using Nystatin on them and they got worse! They were sticking to my breast pads and ripping open...now they're sore again. Thankfully, due to Lanolin and air drying and sun exposure they seem to be healing. But they do appear shiny...hmmmm

I keep thinking out loud here. I'm so desperate to make this nursing work. I just know that I cannot do another year plus of pain.

It sounds like you might have Raynaud's......I do and almost got treated for yeast. The symptoms I had seemed exactly like yeast. The best way to determine is to look at your nipples when you feel the pain. Are they white like a snow cone with the juice drained out ? I can feel the pain right into my back (like yeast). Does this sound like you?

How do you treat Raynaud's?? Is it something that can go away or will breastfeeding always be painful?

From what I have read, you CAN have the Raynaud's symptoms due to nipple trauma. When the trauma heals, the symptoms can go away. I still have it but it is MUCH better now. I still get some pain after nursing but the pain that shoots into my back is more of a dull pain than sharp. It's totally tolerable now (it was excruciating for the first four weeks) and getting better. I hope the OP hangs in there.....how are you doing and have you noticed if your nipples are changing color at all?

Oh, and you can take calcium and B6 supplements to try and help (this may be what is helping me as well). If that doesn't work, there is a blood pressure med they can put you on for a few weeks that seems to have great results. It begins with an "N" but I can't remember the name.

Nods. Nipple blanching can follow any kind of nipple trauma.

When you're finished nursing, what do your nipples look like? When you feel the pain, do you notice any change in the appearance of your nipples? Have you ever had any circulatory problems? Do you notice the pain more when you're cold or stressed? Have you taken antibiotics anytime in pregnancy or after?