Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: wanting to begin correctly

Default wanting to begin correctly

I have read your website and a few other books such as the Baby Whisperer and I am confused. Apparently at the hospital where my baby will be born they suggest 10 minutes on each breast. I have read and think I understand the concept of hindmilk and foremilk. Should I give my baby just one breast each feed? Wait until he pulls off the breast or switch after 10 minutes? I am very confused and would like to begin correctly.

Default Re: wanting to begin correctly

My suggestion would be to let the baby finish with the first breast and then switch, always watch the baby's cues and not the clock. I did the timing thing with my first and always end-up going back and forth a few times, it was so frustrating especially when you didn't have much knowledge, with my second I pay attention to the baby only, having The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding helped me a lot to understand my concerns, it also gave me this sense of security to follow my mommy instincts.

the best thing to do is feed the baby on demand. Before the baby gets starved and upset.
    They are going to eat alot in the 1st 6 weeks sometimes it will seam like every hour. Do you have a local lll group? Try a few meetings before the baby comes then you will have somebody to call if you run into problems with the baby.
    And you'll meet some moms with babies that are a little bit older. I does help to have somebody to talk to.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/books/wab.html
    the womanly art of breastfeeding has a great section on getting of to a good start.
    good luck with the baby

My dd only recently started to eat on both breasts, for the first 4 1/2 months, she would eat until she was satisfied and come off. She would never take the 2nd breast at a single feeding, so I just alternated breasts at each feeding. Not too long ago she began teething and now is emptying both breasts at most feedings.

Each baby is different; pay attention to the cues, you'll learn them quite quickly.

Congrats and best of luck!

You came to a great place for support and knowledge sharing.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

always watch the baby's cues and not the clock
    I would say, watch the baby and the clock. That way, you can get to know your baby's feeding patterns more easily. Let baby decide when she has had enough, but note how long she has fed, and you might find that it is a similiar length each time. That way, if baby usually feeds 15 min, but suddenly comes off after 5 min, you may want to check what's going on.

I am new to all this too, but my nurse in the hospital told me to start on one breast and to let her go, as long as she wants (but when my nipples were blistered she said dont let baby suck for more than 20 min) but always offer the other breast after she has finished with one. You will find in the early days that your newborn will probably not go much longer than 10-15 min anyway. If my DD wants to go longer, i let her. I can tell when she is done as she is unable to be woken up, or pulls herself off the breast. She is only a week old and will do one breast for 10-15 min and then take the other for 5-10 minutes.

I was so worried about all of this stuff too, but when your wee one comes along, you will be able to follow her cues and i think thats the best thing you can do.

Good Luck