Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 13 month old wants only cereal

Default 13 month old wants only cereal

My 13 month old wants to have only rice cereal and nothing else (he likes to have any desserts that I make, but I cannot give that to him except occasionally). He actually started eating a variety of foods a month ago, but as soon as he got his vaccination, he went on a solids strike for 3-4 weeks now. Last couple days he is okay with rice cereal but not much (a couple tablespoons maybe). He is only on breastmilk otherwise. He is teething too. Is it ok to just give him just rice cereal alone (seems better than no solids at all!) and keep trying the other stuff once in a few days? He can detect anything added to cereal like veggies, fruits or lentils very easily and purse his lips if I add anything in it. Please give your inputs.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: 13 month old wants only cereal

keep trying
    Will the baby pick up finger foods?
    At that age my kids were just eating table foods. WE skipped the jarred foods.
    kids normaly will have times when they don't want to eat and then other times when they eat alot.
    just let him deside what he needs.

Well he picks up his cheerios and puts it into his mouth, but nothing else...My husband thinks I should start supplementing him with whole milk if he doesn't want to have solids, as he is starting to look thinner. What do you think about that? I keep worrying if I have enough milk for his age where he is running around all the time. Thanks.

I'm sure you have enough milk, and your milk is way more nutritious than cow's milk and I think BM has more calories than regular milk too. Regular milk doesn't make up for solids. Let me write down something that my hubby notice yesterday from his protein mix and let your hubby know, my hubby uses Muscle Milk and this is what it says:
    WORLD'S FIRST EVOLUTIONARY MUSCLE BUILDER
    MUSCLE MILK helps grow muscle faster than gainers, whey or even creatine. This increase muscle's growth is possible because MUSCLE MILK is the first product pattern after Nature's ultimate anabolic food- human mother's milk.
    Locked within the composition of human mother's milk are long held secrets to muscle growth potential....

Even body-builders recognize the benefits of BM! GOT MILK !!

It could be discomfort from teething that's causing this reluctance to eat - my babies all refused solids when they were teething, too. One thing they would eat, though, was yogurt - have you tried that? Full-fat yogurt is a great source of calcium, energy and vitamins, plus it's easy on his sore gums

Thanks for your replies. I have not tried yogurt in a while. I will try it today. Can I give him yogurt right after nursing him or should I wait an hour or so before I give him yogurt? I ask because I've heard yogurt and milk shouldn't be taken together. Not sure about breastmilk though...