Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month old breast and bottle fed baby want to breast feed more

Default 3 month old breast and bottle fed baby want to breast feed more

My problem with my 3 month old is that she has been both breast and bottlefeeding since birth, but in the past 3 weeks I have noticed that she suckles poorly at the breast and is doing it - (sucking)for a short amount of time, compared to before. She then wants to drink the formula from the bottle, but I then have to "trick" her into drinking the bottle, b/c she wants the breast although she doesn't want to suck the nipple. Also, she at times does not suck properly and does not stimulate the let-down and so it then seems she doesnt want to eat from the breast or the bottle and becomes frustrated. I then proceed to try for 5-10 minutes to feed her from the breast or the bottle, and sometimes resort to stopping the feeding and waiting until some time passes to try again. I know she is hungry at this time-if 2-3 hours have passed since the last feeding, sometimes she really knaws at her hands(2 at a time), etc.

Please give me advice if you have had this problem. I also have tried breast compression.

Lastly, and I don't think this is a problem as I have been breastfeeding for the past 3 months-I have breast implants b/c of the big difference in the size of my breasts (2 cup sizes) and I have different areola sizes and very slight differences in the nipples of my breasts.

Thanks for any help and advice.

New mom of tanya

Default Re: 3 month old breast and bottle fed baby want to breast feed more

One thing you might try is not giving her the bottle yourself. I don't give my daughter a bottle, ever, only her Daddy does. If she sees me, she gets boob, and nothing else. That way, it's a substitute for you, not an alternative.

HI there and congratulations on your new little daughter. It sounds like there may be a couple of different things going on here and it may be helpful for you to speak in person with an LLL Leader. Would you be able to check the website in order to find a Leader local to your area? She could give you a better idea what is going on.

I would need to know how often she nurses and how many bottles of formula she is getting. I would also need to know if you are pumping at all? I am wondering if maybe your supply if being affected by supplementation. Many mothers feed both formula and breastmilk with no problems, but some find that the bottle of formula cause their milk supply to go down, especially after the first few months. Nursing her more often can help increase your supply. Some mothers find keeping the baby close when they are together helps maximize feeding times and encourages the baby to nurse more often.

I would also want to know about how much she is fed from the bottle and what type of flow the nipple is. If she is getting the milk very quickly from the bottle and then your supply is down at the breast, she may be getting frustrated. Some mothers find that always using a slow-flow nipple works best because it makes the baby have to work a little harder at the bottle.

Don't worry! This problem is easily manageable! Please check out the website link below to help you find a local Leader and let me know how you are doing.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

Hi Kate-
    Thanks for your response. I may try contacting a LLLL soon, because i am still having the same issue.

Here's the answer to your ????s.....

I am not pumping, although I tried my manual Avent Isis pump and got drops from my one breast with the small areola, and only got 1oz from the breast with the large areola and this is also the breast my daughter prefers to drink from. My daughter nurses every 2-3 hours, and at one point (about 4 wks ago) she was having 8 - 14oz of formula/day. Generally she would drink 2 oz after each nursing session, but sometimes more. Now, she nurses first from 3-6 minutes on average and sometimes 8-10 minutes, on 1 or both breasts (I try switching back and forth if she is really fussing at feeding time, although most times I nurse on one, and just have to find what she wants that feeding, ie., walking and nursing, laying on side ( 1 or the other), singing to her, patting her butt, etc, then I give her the bottle and most times she takes it eventually and drinks 3-4 oz. Lately, I don't feel as if I'm tricking her into taking the bottle nipple, but she readily takes when she is very hungry and finishes 3-4oz, especially right before bedtime. I would say she now is taking 0 oz through the night, 3-4 oz (7:45), 2-3 (b/t 10:30-12:30), 2-3oz (b/t 2 and 4), and 3-4oz (b/t 5-7 and 8 and 10 p.m) So maybe 15-20 oz now (formula), which seems to be a huge increase over what she was taking.

I use Avent bottles and I'm still using the nipple with 2 holes in it-I went up from a nipple with one hole.

I'm certain she prefers my nipple to the bottle nipple and think this is the biggest problem of all for her. When I tried to nurse more frequently one day (last week I visited the Lactation consultant at the docs office) she had 2 oz of formula at 8 a.m , then 3 oz at 3 p.m. b/c she was very upset at that feeding time, and my breast, and any other thing I tried to do that normally consoles her did not work so I gave her a bottle, and again at 5 or 6 (2or 3 oz)and at 9 p.m for bedtime (4 oz). The next day she hardly took the breast, turned away most times and seemed really hungry for formula, and ate more formula that day. The past few days she seems to want the breast more first, but still seems to need the formula. In addition to my first posting, I also notice she always seems to breast feed well before falling asleep-in fact - this is how she falls asleep (even if I've just breast and then bottle fed), and how I help her to go back to sleep when she wakes during naps, and at night time. I also nurse her in our bedroom for most feedings and it is quiet and I am somewhat relaxed when I begin nursing. I do try to relax while she's eating and not let the fact that she will be having a bottle too upset me while giving her the breast.

I love the fact that my body nourishes my daughter, I appreciate myself and my breasts more than I ever have, and I love giving the breast to my daughter. I never have known such joy and peace; my daughter means so much to me and has given me so much already!!! I love this little child.
    On the other hand, I have to admit I don't mind giving her a bottle occasionally-I only wish I could do 1 bottle one time/day. I feel a bit guilty about giving her formula, which is artificial. Maybe I'm doing something wrong at each feeding, although the LC thought she latched on fine, etc and that I should be patient and feed for as long as she needs, and that my baby would take what she needed, and would feed next when she was hungry. It just seems she's eating more formula b/c she needs more than I can produce.

Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks again Kate. I look forward to hearing from you.