Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iron?

Default Re: Iron?

My son just turned 7 months. I do try to give his day care lady some food. I need to do a better job at that. I have been trying to give her one jar each day. He gets the breast milk I pump every day which he finishes off. He never comes home with any left over. I think he's getting enough though. I'm going to try the iron supplements and I'm going to try introducing some meats into his diet. He hasn't had any yet. I bought some ground turkey so maybe this week I'll try giving that to him. He hasn't refused to eat anything yet. Sometimes he makes funny faces when I give him some apples but he's never flat out refused anything. He's a pretty good baby.

Aren't they all good?

Let us know how it goes, OK? And if there's anything else we can help with.

Mary

I haven't gone searching primary data to find the answers to this, but maybe should make the time to do so.

I've read here in several places that supplementing a mom's diet with extra iron does NOT lead to increases in breast-milk iron content. However, I've had two MD's and one IBCLC state the exact opposite and suggest - back when DS was 9 months old and had low hemoglobin readings - to help the situation.

We've long-solved this problem with foods in J's diet (all veggie, too!), but I'm curious about what the 'real' answer to this is - if there is one based on research studies??

Jsmom

I usually figure that if several different doctors give different answers to a simple question, like, iron supplements, then it's clear that some of them must be wrong and they're all not sure or making it up based on who knows what.
    If your son is just 7 months, dont even begin to worry about it yet. bm will give him everything he needs!

My two cents worth... I agree that there is generally no need to use vitamin D supplements from birth or to start iron supplements at 6 months "just in case." However, we should all recognize that there are certainly times when an iron supplement is recommended and it is actually needed. Most pediatricians will do a finger stick at the 9 month appointment to check iron levels. If these levels are low, most pediatricians will recommend iron supplementation because there are fairly significant risks associated with prolonged iron deficiency, included mental and motor function problems. I don't believe in unnecessary supplements, but I do believe in a supplement when it is prescribed to treat an actual, documented deficiency. While it is true that there are a lot of doctors out there that are not well educated about breastfeeding and its nutritional benefits, I think it is important to also recognize that many of these same doctors provide good medical advice about legitimate medical problems.

Very true, minkerpinker, but still, if a doctor reccomends at 7 months, without testing, to supplement, and several doctors give conflicting advice, thats something to think about.