Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby not napping at daycare - sleeping all night!

Default baby not napping at daycare - sleeping all night!

Well, this ended the third week at daycare for my 14 wk old lo who is only taking maybe one-two 25 minute naps during the day - then zonking out at home for 12-13 hours! I wake up with breasts hurting! While I do anticipate her needs to eat at night (don't we all), as when she begins to move around I will pick her up to change her diaper & feed her, but then she goes right back to sleep.

Just prior to starting the daycare, she was eating every 3 - 4 hours throughout the night. Now, she goes to sleep so early. It seems to me that a baby her age should be sleeping 10 hours at night, and that she really needs her naps during the day for her health. The daycare staff says they can't force her to sleep, yet I think she is being overstimulated. They changed the position of their electric swing to face outwards to all the action - yet before it was facing away (they claim it is to see the baby's face better). There is no way a baby should go from 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. without sleeping at least 3-4 hours (I think she fights sleep when I pick her up b/c she wants to be with me).

Granted we co-sleep, so the crib is not used at night. But she does take up to 1 hour naps in the crib at home. I have been trying to put her in the crib on weekends for naps, but didn't want to do too many new things at once. So at daycare, if they put her in the crib (which is right near all the action), she only sleeps 25 minutes at the most. They were putting her in the swing, where she was sleeping more, but now that the position has been changed, she is overstimulated by watching all the others. If she is in the bouncer, she had been sleeping a little, but now is not!

She was left in her crib the other day to "get her comfortable" - turns out she spent most of her day there! My precious girl is a quiet baby who can amuse herself when alone - I just never thought for that long! I am sure she watched everyone, but I have made it clear that I don't want that happen again. I am not looking for a babysitter, but need people who will be like that parent during the day, interested in her development.

I think that the daycare center needs to try to be more accommodating on meeting my lo's needs for sleep.

Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated!

Default Re: baby not napping at daycare - sleeping all night!

dont they have a nap time when all of the children nap? i know that the daycare/preschool at my church (i work at the church) has a nap time and all of the children have cots that they lay on. of course in the baby room there are cribs. i would think naptime would be important for all of the children.
    what is the age range of children there?

j

ITA w/PP!! I cannot believe that they let your LO go without a nap. I have a hard time getting DS to nap (daycare doesnt go figure :rolleyes) but I do what it takes to get it done. Just remember they work for you and if you don't like something, you should tell them.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I am having all the EXACT same issues except for 1 thing...Mine only naps for 2 15 minute times....He is almost 8 mos though...I was not a napper though...My mom keeps drilling this in my head...I look at it this way for a child 2-3 weeks is such a short period of time and they really are still in transition...

Oh, and Chance doesn't sleep most of the night like yours...He will barely eat at daycare...He waits till he is with me...He is waking every hour to 30 minutes to eat...I just feel that he is still getting used to everything...

Hang in there
    Mommy to Chance Lane 1/18/07
    I love my miracle baby so much! Be the best that you can be to your angels no matter how selfless you have to be!

thanks everyone. The do have a naptime, but since not all the infants sleep, and my lo's crib is next to all the action...

Will just have to wait and see how the next week progresses. Hopefully with routine she will adjust!

I have asked them to put her in a different crib, so we will see how that works.

My lo started daycare at 3 months. She never took more than 2-3 30 minutes while at daycare. She would sleep in the car on the way home, wake up, eat, and go right back to sleep for the night about 6:00. Unfortunately, she was a refluxer so she was up all night too!

Daycare is/was overstimulating. She couldn't/wouldn't let herself wind down.

Oh, she's waking now. I can say we tried several different crib placements etc and her naps never really got longer until she was quite a bit older. She was a great napper at home. Anyway, for all its worth, she's been super early on her developmental milestones (I guess she had a lot of awake time to practice ) and I don't think its had any negative long term effects.

Good luck!

Max & Maddie's Mommy

Madeline Grace 06/02/02, reflux
    Luke Macsen 04/01/08, severe reflux, MFPI, FTT

This is what I am afraid will happen with my lo. I do believe that the daycare environment is overstimulating for infants - just too much going on!

It makes me sad to think that my lo will sleep when I want to get to know her at home.

We just this weekend had a referral for a Spanish-speaking (no English) nanny who would take care of M in her own home. She lives with her husband, dtr, son-in-law & grandson, and they all speak English. I would drop M off in the morning before they all leave, then pick her up when the grandson is there in the afternoon. So while the language thing is a potential issue, not really ( I understand more than I can talk Spanish).

Right now, my dtr sees me for lunch every day. I know that almost 4 hours after I leave her that I will see her again to BF her, and I really enjoy the bonding, as I know my dtr does. Being 5 minutes away helps! Then I return to work for 2 1/2 hours, then go to pick her up to BF her before we head to home. I really love being that close to her, seeing her during the day, bonding with her. If I go with the private nanny, I will not be able to come over for lunch (too far from work), and will need to pump at least 2x (I only pump once now in the morning at work).

Am I being totally selfish in wanting to keep her in the daycare so that I can bf her during the day? I then feel guilty with how tired she is at the end of the day, and not spending more awake time with her. Maybe the one-on-one attention will be good for her.

Such a decision!

OMG! This post could have been written by me!

My LO has been in daycare 6 weeks now. We went through the no napping and we are getting in cat naps now at 15-20 min each. My LO will NOT sleep in a crib at daycare so I've told them to let her sleep where ever she falls asleep. Once she falls asleep, she can sometimes be moved to her crib but usually wakes a few min after they do so.

What has helped is that I try to have my LO nap w/the tv or radio on to get her used to background noise. She's slept up to 45 min at DC so I think that may be working.

My plus (I guess) is that I have an hr ride to work/daycare from home so my LO sleeps in the car on the way to/from DC. I do go to DC most days at lunch to BF but now my LO is at home w/DH 3x/week & DC just 2x/week so I have the added pressure of pumping 1 more time at work.

I found the biggest issue was that not napping wears my LO down & she has caught a few colds already. She also sleeps thru the night but has been doing that since 12 wks (9-10 hrs).

One thing I do like about DC though, the interaction with the other children is good. My LO is developing quickly & interested in a lot more than others her age that I have seen (I know, they all develop differently but I see a diff).

I had the opposite problem. My DC made all the lo lay down at the same time. They can't make a lo go to sleep but when they get still and quiet they usually do. If my dd took a nap at all she was up all night.

My son is having the same experience. He's at DC 8-4 M-F. Often he gets home and falls right asleep after nursing.

He gets home and wants to nurse right away. And then he falls fast asleep. I haven't had any luck stretching out the awake-at-home part (he gets too cranky to play).

He's 13 mo old--older than a lot of kids on this thread. Anyone have this experience with older infants?

I let him sleep, but I miss playing and hanging out with him. We've been apart all day. At least we nurse and cosleep, so I feel close to him while he's in dream-land.