Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is my baby getting enough??

Smile is my baby getting enough??

Hi i was loking for some advice. My little girl is 3 weeks old & she was born 8lb 9 she now weighs 10lb 1, and to help me sleep etc I have decided to express so that my husband can help with the feeding. This was ok and baby took bottle straight away, however, i found that the amount that was expressed was not enough and baby was still crying for food!!! this resulted in me putting her to breast to feed. normally she feeds really well and sleeps for an average of 3-4hrs between feeds. i have found over the last few days that she has gone for less than an hr and wanted feeding.
    I want to carry on feeding her myself but feel that i am not providing her with enough now. my breast are getting sore due to the high demand for feeding.

Can someone help with this as i am thinking of giving this up and resorting to formula.

thanks in advance xx

Default Re: is my baby getting enough??

It sounds like you are describing a growth spurt. The baby feeds much more frequently than before, the mom is worn out and her breasts feel emptier because the baby is taking more out of them. 3 weeks is a prime time for a spurt.

Hang in there and feed on demand. In a few days, your baby will have boosted your supply (because supply = demand) and should go back to a more tolerable routine.

If you're not co-sleeping, or feeding in the lying-down position, now is a great time to try both so that you don;t have to get up so much! During my daughter's growth spurts, she slept beside me, more or less on my breast, all night. I would doze off and wake up an hour or more later, when she wanted to switch sides. My husband often slept in the spare bedroom those nights.

thats great thanx for that.

she seems to be back into a routine at the minute, but it does help that my HV suggested i supplement 2 bottles instead of breast. i am still continuing to feed and it feels alot easier and not so pressurized.

thanks for the reply again it really helped

Quote Originally Posted by manfey28 View Post
    [COLOR="Purple"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]she seems to be back into a routine at the minute, but it does help that my HV suggested i supplement 2 bottles instead of breast. i am still continuing to feed and it feels alot easier and not so pressurized.
    It's great that your baby is back on a more tolerable routine!

There's only one thing to be cautious about- supplementing with formula can mess with your supply, especially in the early weeks/months. Milk production works on the principle of supply = demand: the amount of milk produced is equal to the amount removed. If you supplement, and you're leaving milk in the breast, your body is getting the message that there isn't much demand, and it's okay to reduce production.

Growth spurts are very tempting times to supplement, but if you do, your milk supply may well remain at the same level it was at previous to the spurt, just when your baby is trying to stimulate you to make more.

I'm not saying don't supplement- if you feel you really need a break, then it's a good thing to take one! Just be watchful, and don't fall into the trap where one or two bottles turn into three or four or five bottles, and before you know it your milk supply is running low. If you can bear to do it, pump while your baby is having the bottle. That way you ensure a good supply!

Hang in there! It gets SO MUCH EASIER!!!!

It can be worrysome to feel as if your not prividing your baby with enough. But it sounds like you're doing a great job so far! The first few weeks can be rough as it takes a little time to get settled into a new routine (which can change at the drop of a hat )

One of the best ways to check to make sure your babe is getting enough follows this rule "what goes in must come out"

Checking their diaper output is a great way to make sure what they're taking in! Here's a nice page to help you check and see if s/he's getting enough.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.