Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can you "overfeed" while breastfeeding?

Default Can you "overfeed" while breastfeeding?

Everyone is shocked to learn my son gained 4lbs in 22 days. Doctor says he's fine, but my parents insist I'm feeding him too much.

Default Re: Can you "overfeed" while breastfeeding?

Can't overfeed if feeding on demand.

BF babies grow on a different curve than FF babies. Don't worry as long as you have a happy baby...he needs reserves to get bigger!
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

I agree with the pp! If your feeding on demand your fine...Heck I calculated and my lo has gained on average about 12 ounces a week in her life.......
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

he will put on a lot of weight early, but it will slow down. For now put all those negative thoughts out of your mind and enjoy your little boy and bfing him.

Wink Re: Can you "overfeed" while breastfeeding?

That's the beauty of breastfeeding...the baby's in control of how much he gets...feed on demand and you can't overfeed! It may seem like all he's doing is eating (especially at the beginning) but that's absolutely normal for breastfed babies! Good luck and keep up the good work!

I agree with all above - and you should give yourself a pat on the back for having such a healthy baby who is thriving so well on breastmilk! A friend's baby was born a week after mine and although both were exclusively breastfed, he just piled on the weight (not in a bad way - he is lovely and tall). Some babies just seem to put weight on faster than others, and breastfed babies pile on more weight at first, then even out and fall below formula babies in the long run.

Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible

Proud Mom to:
    Cooper, born 03/04/2007
    Tanner, born 13/04/2009