Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this the start of mastitis??

Exclamation Is this the start of mastitis??

Hey ladies. Late last night I started to feel pain deep inside my right breast. It seems to hurt worse when my baby is feeding. It throbs a bit all the time, but it really hurts when she nurses! I've had plugged ducts before, but there isn't the lump that I can massage, and it doesn't hurt in one specific spot, it just throbs in the middle of my breast where I can't get to it...is this the start of a breast infection? And if it is, is there any way I can stop it from progressing further before it gets real bad or I have to get antibiotics?? is it still safe to nurse from that side, or is the infection actually in my milk where it will spread to baby? I've never had mastitis before, so I don't know what to make of this. Please help! I've been so close to giving up anyway, I just really don't need this! TIA!!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Default Re: Is this the start of mastitis??

I've had two rounds of mastitis. I can only go off what I experienced. When I had it my breast was hard and red where the infection was. I also had flu-like symptoms (chills, feeling tired, weak). The doctor prescribed plenty of rest (hahahahaha), antibiotics and pain killers if the pain was too much. Also one of the things she said to do was nurse more frequently from that breast if possible. Apparently the infection may change the taste of your milk slightly and put the baby off nursing from that breast but I never really had that problem.

There is no danger of passing the infection to your little one, in fact if it is a mastitis you probably got it from the bacteria in the baby's mouth. Do you have cracked or damage nipples? Anyhoo, this is just my experience.

I've had mastitis way too many time, the lucky times is was for a day and a half but it has lasted longer. There are different symptoms each time but as stated it feels "flu like", look for a red area especially if it gets bigger. If you don't have a fever or muscle aches it could be something else that will probably resolve soon. Putting heat on it would be a good idea anyway. I've never had antibiotics for mastitis because eventually it resolves and I try to avoid them, but it is very debilitating. If your baby is quite young the pain you feel could just be your milk refilling, I've heard this is common and remember feeling this. Definately don't avoid feeding her on that side, it is doubtful you could pass anything to her.

I haven't had mastitis with my little one, but did with my 2nd child. I too felt feverish and weak and took antibiotics. I remember I was told to continue nursing on that side as much as possible to keep from adding plugged ducts to the problem. I also used heat to relieve some of the pain.

I agree with all the pp! I had "flu like" symptoms, fever and weakness, my breast was red on one side. Continue to nurse on that side, it should be the first one to offer and plenty of rest! If you don't have any of the symptoms already mentioned I doubt it it's mastitis, anyhow you should get it check! Hope you feel better!

Thrush would be another possiblity. It also hurts when you nurse.
    Jennifer
    Wife to my Marine
    Crunchy mom to my wonderful boys
    Michael 6/02 c-sec
    Willem 1/05 c-sec
    Gavin 6/07 amazing water homebirth VBAC

I had mastitis too, and felt flulike and had hard spots with red streaks--doc said keep feeding from that side.

but I wanted to say that my letdown is extremely painful, deep inside my breast. It doesn't last long (30 secs) but def. lets me know its coming. Then my breasts feel really full until dd eats for a little while. Maybe that's what you are experiencing?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hey jennyalger, how are you feeling today? Hope better!

I am actually better today. It was a really wierd couple days for me! I of course had the sore breast, to the point it made me cry...and then I got the aches, and spiked at fever of 100.6...and then all of a sudden, things just started to get better. I feel fine this morning, the pain is gone and no fever or aches. I don't know what in the world it was, but I'm glad it's gone!! Thanks for all the info ladies!!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!