Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD or growth spurt

Default OALD or growth spurt

Hi all, my daughter is 3 weeks today and I worked really hard to get her to breastfeed after CB, first with shields and after very painful week of feeding I finally weaned her off(shields) and she was doing great and feeding 2-3 hours during the day and slept almost all night it was impossible to wake her up and feed her. Two days ago she started cluster feedings that last for about an hour and have almost no spacing in between except at night I get like an hour of sleep. I was thinking she hit growth spurt and let her nurse whenever she wanted. But now she is very fussy at breast and constantly pulling away and choking I read about OALD and tried different positions because my milk is still spraying very hard and I take her off when it happens because she is choking every time, but when it slows down she seems even fussier and would move her head with my breast in her mouth. When she finally calms down she nurses for 5 min and falls asleep for about 30 min, after that she wakes up and eats again. So I don't know what to think anymore. Is this a growth spurt or she is not getting hindmilk and is not completely satisfied I really don't want to give her bottle I worked so hard to get her to breastfeed and now I feel like it will be all for nothing if she will continue like this. I am also afraid to give her pacifier(will she hurt my breast again?), just in case she wants breasts for comfort and annoyed because milk comes out. She is having up to 10-12 diapers a day including poop. She is almost not getting any sleep no more than 1 hour at a time. Please help if this is normal and I should just continue doing what I was doing and it will be better eventually How others experience growth spurts or OALD ?
    Thank you sincerely

jaamommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: OALD or growth spurt

I've never really had a problem with OALD so I really can't give any advise just thought i'd give you a bump up so maybe some of the other ladies on here can chime in with some advise.

to you mama and stay strong! Way-to-go for you for trying your hardest to stick with it!

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

At about 3 weeks is when my LO went through a growth spurt and started to do what your LO is doing -- coming off after 5 minutes and fussy b/c of the OALD. I remember stressing out b/c she used to feed for 15 minutes a side and never fussed and then all the suddent went down to a few minutes. (I also had an overesupply, so it was very painful to be very full). Anyhow, I'd keep doing what you're doing, and trying different upright positions or the side-lying position (that's what worked for us). Eventually, your LO will learn to come off (and you will need to catch the spray with a burp cloth or collect it) after the initial letdown. As s/he gets older, s/he'll learn to handle it even better and stay latched. Hang in there!

Thank you ladies a lot for support and your advise.Now I have hope that it will improve eventually. We seem to be going over the growth spurt now she eats a lot more than she used to, but all in one feeding, although she is still doing that 5 min thing because of my flow and all the air that she gulps she needs to be burped very often. But we are still BF so I am happy we past another challenge without any losses(except some new cracks on my poor nipple)
    Thanks again

momma!! U could try what is called biological natural, there's a theard in Getting Started about it. It's where u lay on your back with pillows galore all around u and u have baby lay on top of your belly and nurse like it helps with OALD. That's what's been told. I didn't try that with my LO at the newborn stage b.c I DIDN'T know about it then. HTH and keep up the good work.

I don't think the pacifier will hurt her or your breasts. I was very nervous about giving my DS one at like 2.5 weeks old, but we had to! He really wanted to suck, so for the first 2 weeks I would let him just suck on my pinky. It was ok and he was happy. But I couldn't drive anywhere by ourselves and eventually had to eat The pacifier has been great for that, but I try really hard to make sure everything else is happy before I let him go to town on it.

How did you wean her off of the sheild? We are still using it after he wouldn't latch on at the hospital. He nurses fine, his over all latch is good and has a great suck (all of this has been confirmed by our DR and others. But I am SO tired of the shield. When I try him without it he just mouths me and refuses. Sometimes getting quite angry it's not what he wants.

Maybe because we are still using the shield he took to the pacifier and an occasional bottle just fine with no change in our BF. Our growth spurts have equaled a fussy baby and very little, light sleep with increased feedings. One possible solution for OALD is to pump a little before you nurse this would also help make sure she is getting hindmilk I would think. Hope any of that helps, and if you could tell me how you got her off the shield it would be amazing!

Thank you all for the tips, we did try tummy on tummy position and it worked great, side laying also works best at night she goes right into deep sleep afterwards. I am still trying to figure out some sitting positions just in case we will be in situation where we can't be lying down
    lynx0333 I weaned her off the shield in one week it was very hard at the beginning and she damaged my nipples a lot, but lanolin and medela shells saved me form quitting. Here is what I did, every feeding I would start with offering the breast without shield, she would not take it at first at all, somewhere in the middle of feeding when she would get off because of my flow I would take the shield off and stick breast back into her mouth. At first she would be latched on for just few minutes, but after sometime it would be more and more. Finally by the end of the week she would only start with the shield and continue without it once we got good latch without it. One day I just cut the shield completely, of course she would latch on from the 20th try, but that improved in a few days. I also noticed that if she is very hungry she wouldn't want to latch on the breast without shield, so I tried and caught when she is just starting to look hungry. I think it is also easier for them to get the milk out without the shield and once your LO will realize it he will drop the shield and won't even remember it. My doula told me that her friend's son used shield for 3 months and one day suddenly dropped it, so hang in there and you will be free of shield sooner or later. I understand you cause I really hated it, especially how it gets all wet and stuff sticks to it and my LO would chew on it really hard. Let me know if you have anymore questions I will be glad to help and I hope my suggestions will work for you Good Luck
    Last edited by MamaSita; September 10th, 2007 at 07:09 AM.