Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a Breastfeeding Issue, but...

Default Not a Breastfeeding Issue, but...

...does anyone else's LO cry in the car seat? It started several weeks ago when ds started to cry when I put him in his car seat. He is 10 weeks old now, and cries from the time I buckle him in. Sometimes it lasts 5 minutes and he falls asleep, but other times, he will cry the entire trip. I have stopped on several occasions, pulled off the freeway and checked on him. Too hot? Too cold? Dirty diaper? None of those things seem to be the problem. Hungry? No, because this happens even after I have just fed him.

His crying seems to escalate at times where I feel so bad I just want to cry with him! I have tried talking to him, singing to him, turning the radio on loud and soft. It seems to make him even more mad! He won't take a pacifier, but it probably wouldn't even stay in his mouth if he did.

I am so frustrated and sad for him at the same time. It breaks my heart to hear him scream, but there are times when I don't have a choice...I have to leave the house for one reason or another!!! I guess I am just wanting to know if other people are experiencing this, or has experienced this...and maybe they have some tips to share...even if the tips are just to help me not stress out so much!

Default Re: Not a Breastfeeding Issue, but...

I used to have the same problem. I used to actually cry too because she would be SO upset, like she was being tortured, even if I was riding in the backseat with her. She would turn red and be crying so hard she sounded like she couldn't breathe. I think it's soley because she didn't want to be in the seat! But I'm happy to say that that stopped around the 3 month mark. I think she realized the car seat wasn't going to kill her, and even though she still gets mad sometimes when I buckle her up, once we get going she likes going for a ride.

Here is the link to a thread i started about the exact same thing when my lo was 10 weeks old:
    http://forums.lalecheleague.org/showthread.php?t=30744

We ended up getting a new car seat (went from a graco infant seat to a britax boulevard which is a convertable). That seems to have solved the problem sometimes- she's still not thrilled about riding in the car. It seemed as if what helped the most was not having the infant head support anymore so she can turn and move her head. It also helps because she sleeps with her head to the side so now she will actually fall asleep in it sometimes.
    I know this probably isn't much of a help but it does seem to be a phase that some kids go through! I hope it's short lived for you!
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

We still have this problem. Henry just doesn't like being tied down- he's a mover! I tried the convertible seat but it didn't work for us any better. People keep telling me once you turn them around to face forward they are happier.

I try to keep my trips short, and it usually works well to time them when he's really tired and will fall asleep, or when he's just woken up and is relatively happy. Of course sometimes I think he'll be fine, and he screams, and other times I'm sure he'll scream, and he's perfectly happy!

Very normal!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Oh yeah another trick I try to take advantage of....Sidney is a big time morning baby. I try to do any longer trips in the car in the morning or early afternoon when she is happier and more willing to take a nap or just look around. Once the evening/night time comes all is lost. At about 2 months she started this thing where she actually gets mad if we are not in bed at a certain time...not asleep, just in bed! Anywho, you might want to try to travel/do errands etc. when your lo is the happiest.
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

My DD would (sometimes still does) cry until she threw up The best thing I've found to help her was a pacifier. I took me forever to get her to take it. I would even have to sit with her and hold it in while DH was driving until she figured out how to keep it in on her own. She is 8 months old, and I think that she would still scream every time without it
    So sorry! Just know that your LO isn't the only one, and it does get better!

olivia did the same thing when she was a young infant. using a pacifier helped calm her. once she was old enough to have a vested interest in things around her and was able to hold toys and such while in her seat, she was fine. by the time she was 6 mo old, she LOVED getting into her seat, because she knew she was going someplace fun. ( she thought everyplace was someplace fun! )

my DS is still the same way at 8 months. It IS getting better, but not completely. He started about 7 weeks. We havent tried switching seats yet, but I know even that hasnt helped some moms
    I hope that your LO does grow out of it, because I know how frustrating it can be, especially when it is just you and baby in the car! Hang in there, and maybe if you need to travel, try going with someone? that way you can sit in the back seat? It doesnt necessarily stop the crying (at least for us) but that way you know he sees you and you know he is okay.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Yep, definitely common! It's so heartbreaking....you feel so darn helpless. There you are, having to drive the blasted car, and your LO is screaming. You feel terrible! Most of the time, I kept driving, but every once in a while, I stopped and picked DS up, just to get him calmed down.

We tried the paci thing, too, but that was more trouble than it was worth for us. It only worked if I was actually in the backseat with him, holding the paci the whole time.

Good luck. Be assured that it WILL pass, and probably WAY before they turn one.

Talking Re: Not a Breastfeeding Issue, but...

My DD, Ali HATED the car seat. Would scream from the time you strapped her in until she was out of the car seat. The crying would get so bad she would hold her breath, and I'd have to pull over to try and calm her down.

I've read on another website thread to crack the back window for some different noise. The thread said that the pressure of the air conditioner may hurt their ears. I don't know how true that is, but ever since I've been cracking the back window, she's been great in the car. Later on, I bought one of those Fisher-Price auto mirrors that plays music and has lights. She loves to stare at herself in the mirror.

I hope this helps. It won't hurt to try to see if it works! Good luck!

SAHM to Ali born on Memorial Day, May 28, 2007
    3 weeks early and weighed 6 pounds 6 ounces
    Ali weighs 17 pounds 10 ounces at 12.5 months old