Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Milk?

Default Cold Milk?

Is it ok to offer EBM straight from the fridge? My daughter is 9 weeks old and I was wondering if it is ok to let her drink EBM cold, if she likes it that way? Or is it better for her or more healthy to drink it warmed?

Default Re: Cold Milk?

I can't think of any health benefits to warming the EBM. If she'll drink it cold and if her tummy likes it that way, then I'd go for it! Saves a step, right?

I'm curious to hear from moms who have BTDT -- I never had to do much EBM feedings, so I can't say I really know the ropes here.

--Rebecca

Yes, I'd like to hear from others who have BTDT as well! I'm about to have my babysitter (oldest daughter ) offer Mya a cold bottle. My primary reason is to preserve milk. I won't let her put already warmed milk back in the fridge so I'm thinking that she can maybe just pour a few oz at a time until DD has had her fill and less will be wasted.

I don't remember giving my daughter cold BM but I know I used to give her the formula (she was BF & FF) room temp and a few times cold, sometimes she would take it sometimes she didn't. Like Rebecca said I don't see any harm on giving her cold milk, just have to wait and see if she likes it.

If your baby will take it cold, lucky you! My only concern is this: You know how when you store EBM in the fridge it separates? I think it's important to make sure that fat gets reincorporated back into the milk, and I've found it's easier to do that when the milk is warmed (the fat doesn't stick to the bag/bottle). But I haven't really tried it so good luck!

Diesel's concern is the only one that I can think of, as well. Not sure if it affecs the makeup of the milk to drink cold, something to check into.....
    I would guess it would be fine as long as the fat layer is mixed well??

In addition to the separation of the EBM you should also consider that your little one will have to burn calories to heat up the cold EBM. I'm hoping an LLL will respond to let us know what they think of that.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question447.htm

my ds LOVES cold bm - he's teething and it really soothes away the pain - anyone who mentions their baby's teething, i advise to use cold bm!!!

I took a bfing class before I had my ds and the IBLC said that it was fine to feed babies cold milk. If they like it and they're not picky, just one less thing we have to do.

Thanks for all your replies. We are going to give it a try today. I'll let you know how it goes.